car issues again :(

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jazagod, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Jazagod

Jazagod Command Sergeant Major

hello, I have yet another car issue(what a month I swear!!)
    Just got my transmission fixed so thats cool, but now the pipe from my engine to the catalytic converter is let go, I drew a real quick picture, you can laugh at it, and was hoping something like the picture actually existed to save some money I dont have. The poor car sounds like hell!!
    I need something to suck the two pieces together, but without taking the pipe out. Um its A 93 Acura integra, any one have an idea.
    If not, maybie I can patent my picture and get rich, and buy a new car?
    :D

Attached Files:

2. sgt.pepper

sgt.pepper Private E-2

hi, nice pic, but you mayn't patent other people's designs. you may copyright the pic 'tho':)
    i'm not really sure what you've got going there, but i'm and old harley rider, so i'm used to doing things whith duct tape, baling wire and visegrips.
    you might try to find a piece of tail pipe in the trash at your local muffler shop, or even ask them for one, that you could insert into the pipe, and then the converter. maybe add a bit of muffler sealer around the joint, and then wrap wire from the tail pipe end,or something solid near it, around the converter to the exhaust end, so the joint is forced to stay closed.
    i just noticed that nobody had answered you, so since i love improvisations, i thought i'd throw in my 2bits.
    let me know what you think.
    sgt.pepper

3. insamaic

insamaic Guest

Acura's are usually good quality, but it's 13 years old mate. :p

4. N5638J

N5638J Guest

jaza do you know anyone with a walder?because you could just have it walded...... unless i am not understanding you right.

5. 12quidkidinnit

12quidkidinnit Private First Class

If it's close to the engine, it's going to be almost the hottest part of the exhaust system. Anything you stick on it will need to be quite heat proof. You can sometimes buy exhaust bandage made of thin aluminium. It comes with some paste to seal it and a length of wire to wrap round and help it stay on. But any exhaust repair other than welding is only temporary. (and improvised repairs can make the job harder when someone next has to replace that part of the system).
    Another important issue here is that poisonous fumes can get into the car.
    Has the pipe actually split, or is it just the joint or the clamp that's come loose ?

I've worked in garages and the general consensus is that exhausts would be so much easier to fix / work on if they weren't so inaccessible. I did once do a welding repair on a catalytic converter for a customer. Luckily the converter itself was ok, so I just welded a new piece of pipe onto it.

If it's only the downpipe that's gone, it might not be too expensive to replace.

6. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Just a thought Jaza, the pipe probable came lose when they were replacing your Tranny (quite common). I would go back to the garage and ask, they may just hoist it up and reattach it for you.

7. Jazagod

ok, thx for the replies, I realize the age, the geeks here are bord with the pics!my acura has some good features...........drinkin be rb in the morn, try MG
    real help please

8. Jazagod

ty bc, he mentioned it, but!!!for another 100 he would do it, no offence but
    the mechanic planned it!
    he even warned? the hell?he had it on the hoist, warned, and didnt fix it 800 bux later!!
    oh , I see MR rip off, sorry while on the hoist it may cost 10 bux nore!!
    suppose the mech has penis envy, otherwise

9. Jazagod

unbelievable

10. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

Hey Jaz, Don't be too hard on the guy. He would've separated the exhaust at that point to do the job. At that age it was probably in fairly rough shape, and didn't like being disturbed. That joint is a pivot joint so the engine can rock forward and back without breaking the exhaust. If you fix it with a solid type of clamp the pipe will likely crack near the manifold. I think this is your converter http://www.discountconverter.com/co...countconverter.com/converters/images/4511.jpg
    It likely cost the same to fix it when he did the trans as doing it later. He probably didn't plan it.

11. Jazagod

I don't really think he planned it, I just get a little excited when paying the big $'s. thats just life I suppose. The picture you posted is right, but is there some sort of special coupling(spelling) to attach it? all the parts are new, and are performance. Is it possible that BC was correct, and he losend it then came lose? is there a part to fix this? I still owe 300 , I am cheaping a bit, but...
    is there such a part to link it together?

12. Crazy nub

Crazy nub Private E-2

Hey jazagod i am pretty sure like 90% Sure thats just a Muffler pipe clamp. You can get a new one and put it back on your self really easy. At least thats what i got from your picture.

Edited after reading fully:
    Lol Well after reading your questions fully. Take some JB weld. Put it heavily on. C clamp it intill drys. It withstands high heat...

13. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

ooooooo a teggy....love those cars i got a 98 gsr....

anyways, check out www.team-integra.net, its pretty much the best integra site/forum out there and i guarantee they can help u fix your problem.

14. Jazagod

must be 3 weeks later...I still havent fixed it...Expensive month dec. is!!
    Any ways Thanks for the links I apreciate...next is brakes and shocks :eek:

15. Crazy nub

Crazy nub Private E-2

Jesus man put more money it the car then its worth? lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds