Now I know I am a Blonde. HDD not able to be accessed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zugzug, Aug 11, 2011.

1. zugzug

zugzug Private E-2

I was reinstalling win xp on a friends laptop. I was at the partition part when hit the back button. My wife and I started talking and like a true blonde i exited the whole setup procedure. Now when I try to install xp again i get to the partition part and it says that it can't access the hdd. Did I mess it up or is there another way that I can reformat it so it would install xp?
    I am working on a Toshiba satellite L355 - S7827 and the HDD is a Hitachi 250GB. I promise that I wont talk to anyone when and if I can fix this problem. LOL. :-D

2. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Try to format the drive using another computer. :)

Or try formatting the drive with XP... sometimes it does that stuff and its weird.

3. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

Its been a while since I installed XP but Im sure there is an advanced disk management section where you can delete the partition and recreate a new one then format it. Not sure how it would work if you are restoring from a ghost partition though

4. zugzug

zugzug Private E-2

I tried to format the drive on another computer. Bios recognized it but when i tried to find it in windows it was no where to be found. How about going through Dos that is one of the many things that i haven't tried.

5. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

The BIOS wont recognise a partition only a physical drive. If it shows in the BIOS that means that the system is recognising the drive but Windows cannot access the partition that you have created on there. I dont think the issue is to do with fromatting but the actual partition structure Hence why I suggest you delete the partion and recreate it from Scratch. Use Windows Disk Management. Go to Control Panel > Administrative tools > Disk Management then delete and re-create the partition

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds