Low Res High Refresh rate problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Joker_Joe, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Joker_Joe

Joker_Joe Private E-2

Ok i had a problem a little while back, it was that my fps on games was shocking but i read somewhere to change your refresh rate, so i did.

I was running my desktop at 1280 x 1024 at 60 hz and the games were running at 1024 x 768 but they were unplayable because of the refresh rate. I have now got my desktop running at 1024 x 768 and refresh rate at 85 hz and same in games works good but i hate 1024 x 768.

would their be anyway i could change the resolution without hindering my refresh rate?

Cheers

P.S might splash out on new monitor.

2. Joker_Joe

Joker_Joe Private E-2

3. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

what model of graphics card do you have ?

4. Joker_Joe

Joker_Joe Private E-2

nvidia geforce 6600 fx 256 mb, i don't think this is the problem any chance it's the monitor?

5. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

You are limited by the dot clock ( pixel clock) of your monitor's electronics. Roughly calculating 1280 x 1024 x 60Hz gives a dot clock frequency of 78,643,200 or 78.6 Mhz. 1024 x 768 x 85Hz might not be good enough for you but at 1280 x 960(1.333 aspect ratio-same as 1024x768) you could get a theoretical refresh of 64Hz. Not the best refresh but at least you have flicker free viewing. Don't confuse this with FPS (frames per second) that a video card can paint while playing a game. The video card paints to the frame buffer as fast as it can go. You could paint 137 frames per second to your video card's frame buffer even though your monitor can only draw 60 frames a second. Only rarely will this be noticeable enough to bug you. One other point to keep in mind. You can force feed some monitors, by inputing the wrong info to their property pages. Programs that claim to increase the refresh rate of your monitor do that. If you decide to exceed the posted capabilities of your monitor, then start shopping for a new monitor right away.:)

6. Joker_Joe

Joker_Joe Private E-2

chhers for the informative post, informative but confusing. I din't know that you could look into monitors with such depth lol. :)

Ok i don't know if this is the problem but the symptoms are low fps, and nede to find why i thought it could be the refresh rate any ther ideas ?

7. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

thought it shoulda been mentioned earlier but is this a CRT or LCD? messing with refresh rates on LCD's just messes them up since they technically dont have one, they have a response time

8. Joker_Joe

Joker_Joe Private E-2

its a CRT Proview 772 i think 17 inch

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds