HD not having displayed amount of memory?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noodlesis, Sep 10, 2006.

1. noodlesis

noodlesis Private First Class

My new harddrive (look at my other hardware post), SAYS it has 4.72 out of 4.76GB of space, but its a 28GB harddrive... IS it possable it has other partitions? How could i fix this?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Windows 95?

3. noodlesis

Nope, totally blank, secondary drive

4. TimW

The question was what is your os? ....windows 95 , 98, ME, 2000, xp pro/home?

5. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Open the disk manager. Start->run, type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. You should now see your disk listed. The partitions are indicated in the bar next to Disk X (where X is the index of the hard drive, probably 1). If there is a large 'Unallocated' area, your disk has been incorrectly partitioned. You can create (and delete) partitions from the disk manager.

6. noodlesis

XP Home.

7. noodlesis

There's 3 "Unknown Partitions", theyre taking all of the room, how do i remove them or merge them.

8. TimW

In disk management, if you right click on the unknown partition, what choices are you given?

If you can't make them active, you could start a repair install and when you get past the f8 (agreement) you have an option to repair ...if you hit esc. I think that takes you to partitions, where you can delete those unknowns and do finish the repair on the c drive ....or just terminate the install.

XP Home repair installation:
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/part1.htm
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxphome/installxpcdrepair/part2.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds