Slow running Dell Notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by docmarten, Sep 30, 2007.

1. docmarten

docmarten Private E-2

Hi,
    I have been advised by the guys at Malware removal to come here as I have run through all the possible malware problems and as far as they can tell my notebook is clean. The problem I have is that for no apparent reason my laptop has slowed right down and the egg timer appears to be almost perminently present.

I am hoping that someone can help me check that all my hardware is running correctly and that I don't have any issues there. Dell recently replaced the motherboard due to a faulty connection at the mains point.

I am afriad that I really do not have much computer experience hence the fact that I am asking for help.

Anything that you can advise will be greatfully received.

Doc Marten

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

3. docmarten

docmarten Private E-2

Goran P,

Thank you. I had followed these guidelines before I asked for help as I did the basic computer maintenance and the read me first stickies in the Malware section. I have come to this forum because the Malware guys couldn't find a cause and thought it might be a hardware issue and they suggested I give you a try.

Doc Marten

4. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

Doc:

I’m at Dell Headquarters in Austin, Texas and I just came across the post. A few quick questions:

-When did it start and did the time it stated correspond with you installing anything new or doing anything differently?

-Have you run the Dell hardware diagnostics?

-Is all of your data backed up?

It's tricky to really narrow it down based on the info in your post but we should easily be able to narrow it down to either hardware or software.

Neil
    Dell, Inc.

5. docmarten

docmarten Private E-2

Neil,

thanks for posting. The only changes that have been made are a new motherboard put in by Dell after the external power socket stopped working. I haven't run the diagnostics check, how do I do that? All data is backed up.

Thank you for your time.

Doc

6. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

7. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

I would also flash it with the latest bios just in case that wasn't done and it thinks it's a different system that uses the same motherboard.

Neil
    Dell, Inc.

8. docmarten

docmarten Private E-2

Hi Shanemail and Neil,

I have run the test and received two error codes:

0F00:0244 AND 0F00:1A44 - "Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected"

How do I do flash it with the latest bios?

Thanks

Doc Marten

9. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

Those are hard drive errors. If the system is under warranty, I can set up the order for an exchange hard drive to be shipped out. If not, you can purchase one. They're typically not a very expensive item. Let me know if you need help.

Neil
    Dell, Inc.

10. docmarten

docmarten Private E-2

Neil,

thanks for the reply. I seem to have sorted the problem by removing ZoneAlarms from start up through msconfig. If I am experiencing any other problems then I will investige getting a reconditioned hard drive through you, would I be able to install it myself or would I have to take it to a shop?

Doc

11. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

The hard drive something we would just ship and let you swap out on most of our noteboooks. There are only a few where the HDD is buried and requires a technician to get to. Which model is yours?

Also, is the HDD passing diagnostics now?

Neil
    Dell, Inc.

12. docmarten

docmarten Private E-2

Neil,

It is an Inspiron 1300.

Doc Marten

13. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

Doc:

That one is a "customer kit" that you would swap out yourself. It only takes a minute or so and there are only two screws holding it in.

Is it passing diags?

Neil
    Dell, Inc.

14. docmarten

docmarten Private E-2

Neil,

thanks that sounds easy enough. It is passing the diags test all except the two errors you identified as hard drive errors.

Doc

15. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

Is the system under warranty? If so I can go ahead and set up the hard drive exchange.

Neil
    Dell, Inc.

16. docmarten

docmarten Private E-2

Neil,

Sadly the warrenty ran out a couple of months ago.

Doc

17. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

At least it's a fairly inexpensive and easy to find part. Let me know if you need any more info.

Neil
    Dell, Inc.

18. docmarten

docmarten Private E-2

Neil,

I will do that and thanks for your help.

Doc

19. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

20. docmarten

docmarten Private E-2

Novice,

It just confirms that you are not a major geek for no reason, you obviously know what you are doing!

Doc

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds