usb low level format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by link48010, Aug 15, 2008.

1. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

I just got a U3 Cruzer 2 gig flash drive. I plugged it in an the system immediatly came up asking me to format. Rather than format the launcher that was already on it, I went to Computer (Vista) and tried to open the drive. I recived a message "Insert a disk into (D:)". I've tried using DOS, tried formating, tried CHKDSK, and nothing works. Windows fomatting opens up a message thaat says "Cannot access disk" and the Properties page has lost the size of the drive. I also tried using Computer Management Console to try to see the volume, it sees it as connected but won't see the partition or formatting of the drive. From this I gather that perhaps the drive was exposed to a magnetic field on it's way to the store, the formatting must be destroyed so I assume I need to low level format the drive, only issue is that DOS won't see the drive to run the FDISK command. Another odd thing is that when I plug in the drive, all the windows refocus as if I would click the task bar to unselect the window and then reselect it. This makes it to the point that I can't type or select anything in a drop down menu or the start menu.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

sorry double post

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. link48010

link48010 Private E-2

My drive has the newest version of U3. The drive itself was only out of the package one day ago. I don't know exactly what version it has, as I cannot access the drive at all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds