DVD Drive tries starting then stops over and over again...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sheldere, Jul 2, 2009.

1. sheldere

sheldere Private E-2

I have an Inspiron 9400; T2300 2GB RAM; I am running Windows XP PRO; three weeks ago my onboard SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A, (DVD/CD-ROM) stopped working properly. When I insert a CD or a DVD it will start spinning...stop; start again...stop over and over about five or six times then it just stops. I have tried opening it from "my computer" and any thing else I can think of...Does anyone have any solutions for me? Please? I don't know what else to do...(I am afraid to wipe my system and start over because the CD's will not work now why would they work if I wiped my system?)
    :cry

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When you open Windows Explorer do you see the title of the CD or DVD that is in the drive? If so. click on the + sign in front of it. Can you see the files that are on the CD or the DVD?

3. sheldere

sheldere Private E-2

it does not even recogonize what I put in; no matter what media it is. When I open the drive all it allows me to do is "copy these files to disk" the problem is I don't have any files in there. I have tried getting the disk to load in every way that I know; as I have stated...it starts spinning to load then stops; starts again then stops after like two seconds. This process repeats over and over again five or six times then nothing.

4. sheldere

sheldere Private E-2

Well I upgraded my anti-virus re-scanned and found two trojans...nice. Anyways, I have cleaned the machine de-fragged it and got rid of the trojans and the spyware that had invaded my laptop. The problem still exists; I am unable to fix no matter what I do. It still does not recogonize any media that I put in the drive. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really need the drive to work asap. Thank you.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

From what I'm reading if the drive shows up in My Computer but refuses to read anything, it might be dead.
    If you have a friend with an external optical drive, hook it up to your notebook while windows is running, put a CD or DVD in and see if windows will read it. If so, then you know your drive is gone.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds