Lose desktop when "My Documents" folder is deleted.

Discussion in 'Software' started by budflash, Nov 24, 2003.

1. budflash

budflash Private E-2

Does anyone know how to get rid of the "My documents" folder off the desktop without lossing the background. When I delete it, My background goes away. I then have to go into recycle bin and restore it, at which time my back ground returnes. Can't figure this one out.

2. HASSELBLAD

HASSELBLAD Sgt. Smirnoff

Whats your OS?

Win 98?
    Win 98SE?
    Win ME?
    Win 2k?
    Win XP?

3. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

flasher,

Those major folders have some odd characteristics. My Docs, in particular, becomes the equivalent of the folder it's IN.

See TweakUI for XP for the warnings and the explanations. You can't just tug those folders to any old place, so ...

An EASY fix, since you're trying to DELETE My Docs (which means you don't USE it for anything important, Right?) is this:

Open your Explorer to Docs and Settings, Username, and in the Username folder, add a new folder called Storage, or Garage, or Dumpster. Then find your My Docs folder DIRECTLY UNDER THE C: ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE DISPLAY when the Explorer is open to C:.

Right click it and type in the new location as the Target:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Dumpster

Click the Move button.

and it will NOT be part of the desktop any more. BUt stop trying to delete it. Windows will get pi**ed off at you.

Its actually easier to do this the way I just said than to use TweakUI to move the folder.

4. budflash

budflash Private E-2

That didn't seem to work. I quess xp requires something on the desk top. I moved the my docs icon to a different folder and my background disappeared. then i created a "new folder" (left it named new folder) in my D drive and drug it to the desk top and my background reappeared. Its the only thing on the desk top so as I said, xp must require something on the desk top. What im trying to do is get everything off the desk top. Im using object dock and all of my programs launch from that......

5. Wisewiz

Oh, I see. I didn't understand that My Docs was the last remaining thing on your desktop.

OK, two things I have on file from XP Annoyances:

1. You can leave one of the icons (shortcuts) on the desktop, but make a blank icon and use that for the shortcut's icon, then change the name of the shortcut to just a single space on the spacebar. You'll know where the icon was (and is) if you use the autoarrange function before you "disappear" the icon and its name, so you will be able to find and use it, but nobody else will know it's there, and you will see nothing, nada, nul.

2. You can do a registry tweak to "disappear" the desktop, and I think (but am not sure) that leaves the background alone. If it doesn't, it's easy to reverse the tweak.

Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Policies\ Explorer.
    Double-click the NoDesktop value (if it's not there, select Edit -> New -> DWORD Value, and type "NoDesktop" for its name).
    Enter 1 for the value, and click OK.

After you exit the reg editor, you can use F5 to refresh the desktop.

If the desired result doesn't happen, just go back to the Explorer key and delete the NoDesktop DWORD (and the value with it, of course).

Please always make backups of reg keys you're about to change. It's so easy, and it makes going back so easy if you don't like the results of changes you've made.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2003
  6. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

sorry about getting off topic, but I have a smart remark.

I bet that's how kodo hides his pRon.

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I'm more clever than that ;)

8. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

wait, wait, let me guess: you hide it in the unused desktop shortcuts folder :D

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Getting folders off the desktop with XP>

Right click the desktop/properties/desktop/customise. Untick the ones you don't want in there.

10. budflash

budflash Private E-2

Hipster,
    Did that. Amazingly enough everything on the desktop went away except "My Documents". Like I said earlier, I think windows gets made if you take everything off the desktop.

11. budflash

budflash Private E-2

I just found the cure. A program called "Desk Hide". I downloaded it right off this web site. Voila, Icons gone. Thanks for the help.

12. Wisewiz

Well, there are always at least two ways: the RIGHT way (= MY way; = Do it for yourself in the registry), and

the Let The Other Guy Do It With Software way.

Poisonally, I'm a DIY fan, myself.

Glad you got it, guy!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds