Installing Windows from created directory question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Brian C, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Brian C

Brian C Private Peanut Gallery

I don't know if anyone's familiar with the procedure of creating a directory on the hard drive to hold Windows files, then running setup from there. After creating the partition, and restarting with the boot disk, I get to the A:/ prompt, then type in C: <enter> md\Win98 <enter> cd\Win98 <enter>, then put the Windows cd in the drive, and type in COPY E:\WIN98\*.* <enter> Then the setup files are copied into the directory I created. Then I pop out the CD, and type SETUP <enter>. Then Windows sets up from there. The purpose of doing it that way, is so you never have to insert the Windows disk when adding Windows components. They are automatically found. So with that speil all out (LOL).....Does anyone know if this procedeure will work with WinME as well?? I've only done it with 95&98. And I just substituted the 98 or 95 in the syntax's to do it. I'm going to be doing an Me install soon, and want to know if I will be able to use this method by just substituting Me in the syntax where 95 or 98 is. OR.......does WinMe create that kind of directory itself, during it's install??? Anyone???? Have I lost you???? LOL
    Brian

2. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

WOW--Windows ME I thought no one but myself even still ran it.(welcome) Used to have the same problem w/ 98 ,I have not run into this particular problem on mine (clean install fom oem disk) I've been up and running for 5 months on my homebuilt. So the answer to your question(as far as i know) is you do not need to craeate these files before install(after all me is just 98 with a few hundred fixes and new wallpaper.

Hope that helped

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heh, my understanding, petalumacacraigslist, is that he wonders if this will work with ME, not whether he needs to.
    You're right though, ME isn't much different from 98, and should work.

Give it a whirl, worst case: you have to format a failed install (you're not losing much)

Also, if you're interested, there are ways to create an unattended installation, which is to say that you can make a file that will install the OS, filling in all the fields for you (ie, computer name, date/time and regional settings), and install applications... google ME unattended install...I've found many different tutorials for any level of customization...its pretty slick stuff. Heh, sorry for going off on a bit of a tangent there. :D

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Actually, I believe you are a bit off, but if it works for you, all the power to ye!

After the drive is formatted. I do the following:

c:
    md windows
    md windows\options
    md windows\options\cabs
    cd windows\options\cabs
    copy e:\win98\*.*
    setup
    I do this for all 9x(including ME) boxes.

5. Brian C

6. Brian C

Ok.....Here's what worked out with this :
    C: <enter>
    md\WinMe <enter>
    cd\WinMe <enter>
    COPY E:\WIN9X\*.* <enter>
    Could not use "WINMe" in the COPY E: syntax. (no such file found). So using "WIN9X" did the trick. :- )

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds