PC running extremely slow........

Discussion in 'Software' started by ridenbaughn, Jul 26, 2009.

1. ridenbaughn

ridenbaughn Private E-2

On Friday, my computer performance slowed to an absolute crawl, especially IE8, but all programs are having trouble opening/performing. IE can't get a connection when launched, and when it does finally, it is after several minutes (I have to walk away and come back). Navigating to web sites is just as bad........any program that needs to access the web is having problems (Outlook, etc.).

I have not added any new programs/updates/add-ons in the past week. The only thing I changed on Thursday was the Power settings to have the computer hibernate when I push the Sleep button (trying to save energy). It is not programs running in the background at Startup (I have turned off all but the necessary programs). I have tried to do a System Restore to the last time when it worked fine. This seemed to work, but only for a short while (an hour or so). My antivirus (Eset Nod32) showed no virus, and Spyware Doctor is clean. So I reinstalled Windows XP Home Edition (full reformat in case there was a virus on the HD) and restored a Norton Ghost backup that was created last Sunday (the computer was working fine then). Still having the same problems. I should note that my husband's computer is working just fine......we have both computers networked to share printers, etc.

Any suggestions on what is causing this would be appreciated!!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If the PC is slow after a full format and system reload, then I'd be looking at the hardware in the system as the culprit, primarily the hard drive. Find out who made the drive by using a system info tool (like Everest for example) or by going to the Device Manager and getting the model number from the Disk Drives entry, then Google the model number. Once you know who made the hard drive, visit their web site and download their diagnostic tool. I prefer the bootable ones, and in a situation like yours, it's probably best to download and create the diagnostic boot CD on a 2nd, healthy PC, then boot it on the slow system. Be sure to run the extended./advanced tests. This will tell you if the hard drive is failing. If so, most hard drives have a minimum 3 year factory warranty and you may be able to get it replaced at no cost (except for shipping). If the HD passes the diagnostic, we'll try some other things.
    Good luck!

3. ridenbaughn

ridenbaughn Private E-2

Thanks DLB. Before I got your reply, I had decided to try a system restore from a Norton Ghost backup run earlier in the month. Since it took several hours, I am only this morning finding the results - so far things are back to 'normal' on my computer :-D, but I am going to take your advice and run the diagnostic test on the hard drive. I'll let you know the outcome.

4. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Hiya dude, in addition to what dlb said, take a look at THIS THREAD (although most wont apply to you yet as you have just reinstalled) ;)

If you end up having no luck, let us know and we'll begin further troubleshooting :)

5. ridenbaughn

ridenbaughn Private E-2

Thank you for the thread Drizzles. Actually I am quite anal about performing steps 1-6 (I use CCleaner for the registry, Diskeeper for defrag, and Nod32 for A/V, & Spyware Doctor), have turned off all unnecessary programs for startup as well. The hardware checks all came back with a Pass. Luckily a Norton Ghost backup from early July resolved my problems. :-D :-D :-D

6. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Lol good to hear, mate ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds