Anti-Spy much more Critical (important) than Anti-Virus?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Feb 9, 2011.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hello...

I came-across this (*below) on another site (forum), and am wondering if you all here, would tend to agree (in general)?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* "Shouldn't *all* malware be caught by an antivirus app"?

"Not currently, no. Maybe someday, the two apps will be completely intertwined into 1 anti-malware app, but currently AV and Spyware/Malware apps detect 2 different things. Honestly, IMO it's AV software that can be skipped with simple smart surfing, and diligent patches".

"I agree with Sagan. If I could only put one on a machine, it would be Windows Defender".

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, grc123.

Frankly, it doesn't bother me at all to run multiple programs to handle multiple tasks, as long as they work well together. Seems like having good spyware blockers and a good antivirus program working hand-in-hand would be the best of all worlds, instead of depending on one single piece of software to anticipate everything.

For what it's worth, avast! (even the free edition) is now somewhat all-inclusive. From the avast! website:

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Simply put, no. As stated they perform two different functions. You should use both.

While the smart surfing message is correct and probably the most important thing, legitimate sites can be hijacked or infected. With the amount of malware out there of all types, if you ask me it's amazing that anyone would consider going online without protection.

I'm sure you've seen Chaslang's 'Protect yourself from Malware' thread, grc123. Until that thread reads that AV's are not important, I'd make sure to follow his advice. With his experience in the field, I'd pretty much take that over any advice you find out on there on other forums.

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Beautiful - than you for the reply - and yes...I, personally, have long UTILIZED AVAST here (for some years now, in addition to a couple other programs, JavaCool's SpywareBlaster, among them!), and like it, too (though not sure if it's ever really "caught/stopped" much? Perhaps it's blocked things that I wasn't even aware of, and yes, now that I recollect, I have had some warnings/blocks/etc. a few years ago, and a few different times by AVAST!

Thanks again Caliban!

Excellent LauraR - and thank you! This is exactly what I thought/how I feel about it all, and was just looking/hoping to get some confirmation ("backing") on it from my Friends here at MG'S!

And "YES" - I am OFTEN referring-back to Chaslangs stickies, etc. (as refresher/reminder) - and always HEEDING his vast knowledge, experience and advise!

Thanks again to you both!

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Glenn

I would just add that I totally disagree that AVs can be discounted from that statement you posted, as mentioned the two genres of scanners look for slightly different things and have a different database routemap.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds