GNU/Linux Anyone?

Discussion in 'Software' started by waltaja, Jan 8, 2006.

1. waltaja

waltaja Private First Class

I was just curious how many people dabbled in GNU/Linux. I myself have been a GNU/Linux user for quite awhile now, and personally enjoy it quite a bit. So, if you use GNU/Linux, or have dabbled in it, this is your place to rant.

Take 'er easy

waltaja

2. waltaja

I've ran through quite a few of the distros. Everything from Slackware to Gentoo to Fedora Core. Right now I'm running Vector Linux 5.1 and so far it has been my favorite. With Gentoo a close second. The thing about Gentoo that I don't care for is the long install process. Other than that it is totally rockin'

3. waltaja

I personally didn't care for Ubuntu/Kubuntu. Cadega is supposed to work for gaming from what I have gathered. Vector is a Slackware based distro. The thing I like about it is the hardware detection. It has much better hardware detection and I get a much more "enabled" distro in the end. Vector came packaged with most everything I wanted. I got a nice "base" system in which to work with.

4. waltaja

the basic Slack distro by default uses 2.4, there is a 2.6 "test pack" on the the CD. Vector however does choose to use the 2.6 kernel in it's distro and it is very stable.

As for Cadega, I don't belive it's free. I don't play many games myself. the Cadega reference was just word of mouth.

www.transgaming.com/

that is the main site for it.

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

I run suse at home, and at the office, we have some suse file servers.

6. Kevin Murphy

Kevin Murphy Private E-2

Hi,
    I just loaded Ubuntu on my old IBM Thinkpad 600X (it's recommended for that machine). I get to the login but it won't load Xwindows (...I believe that's what manages the desktop, right?). I can get to a command line using a safe boot....and I can run apps from the command line (like Firefox)...but I can't get the darn windows environment to work. Any suggestions?

7. waltaja

you may need to maunally set up X-Windows. at the command line, typing xorgconfig should bring up the X-Windows configuration screens

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

I pretty much run Red Hat based distro's. RH9, FC1-3, now running CentOS 4.2; which is a RHEL4 clone. Of course I've removed some of the older packages and installed up2date packages; such as, Firefox 1.5, Thunderbird 1.5, Sunbird 0.3a1, OpenOffice 2.0.1, and PHP5. Next is to get updated Blender3D and Gimp packages installed and tweak the menu system and panel applets.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds