DSL - can connect with wireless notebook cannot connect with hard wired PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deliahoobervitz, May 25, 2005.

1. deliahoobervitz

deliahoobervitz Private E-2

I am running Windows XP Professional, I have a Pentium III, 150 Gigs of hard drives space, 256 mb of RAM

I have been having problems for the last 24hrs connecting to the internet from my desktop which is hardwired to my router, but I am able to connect to the same router via my wireless notebook.

everything seems to be working fine. My dsl router is all green lights. I've even tried resetting it by pulling out the power source and letting it sit and rebooting everything, but nothing seems to work for the connection.

my dsl router is a Speedstream 5100 and the wireless router/hub that I am using is a Belkin Wireless G Router.

any help would be much appreciated.

2. deliahoobervitz

nevermind. i got it working, but its still strange it took a long time to start working when it was obvious that nothing was wrong with my connection.

3. MasterFox

MasterFox Private E-2

how did you get it working?? i kinda have a similar problem, and i thought i'd try your solution.

4. deliahoobervitz

just unplugged the router from power source. Did the same for hub and then rebooted. I'm having the same problem again. Now I have Sony PSII online hooked up and it works fine. My laptop works fine, but my desktop won't work.

5. NoRuff

NoRuff Private E-2

did u think about looking to see if the wire was plugged into the machine and the router..just curius, also you should try an extra ethernet wire to see if your wire isnt bad.

6. metavian

metavian Private E-2

with the PC are you using DHCP or assign IP. I had a similar problem once and found that assigning IP's helped the situation for some reason

7. deliahoobervitz

what is DHCP? I'm not sure. How would I check that. Also I changed ethernet cables. Its not the cable.

8. NoRuff

NoRuff Private E-2

DHCP pretty much is something that automatically gives your computer an ip and doesnt always give you what you need, i forget exactly what it stands for though, below is more or less how i change DHCP and asighning an ip ur self

when u go to ur network connections, right click on the Local Area connection and click on properties, now highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click properties which is below it.

now see if the bubble next to obtain ip automatically is ticked or if all the information areas are filled in,

there is a possibility the computer is not getting the proper ip range or dns. now i find it easiest if you can use your wireless notebook to see the ip range and dns, as well as default gateway...if you wireless laptop is anything like m ine you can double click on the wirelss connection, click on the support tab, and clcik on details which will show the ip address, default gateway, and dns.

now on your tower (desktop) click on the bubble so that you can type in all your ip and etc, then fallow the below instructions.

1.put the first three numbers of ur laptops ip address, and chane the last number, hit tab
    2.hit tab again
    3.put the exact smae number that are shown next to the gateway on the laptops detailed box
    4. go down to the dns area, if you look at your laptop there are 2 ip addresses listed next to the dns servers fill in one blank with the first dns then fill in the second blank with the second dns
    5.hit ok thenhit ok onthe next window, now see if your computer gets a connection.

i hope this fixes your problem and if i made a mistake any where on this please let me know and fix it for me or i can fix it gl

note all of the above info comes from using a linksys b wilrelss card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds