Is it possible to connect 2 pc's to one dial up connection?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by whicky1978, Oct 24, 2005.

1. whicky1978

whicky1978 Staff Sergeant

I connected a laptop to a phone line that was connected to a dial in server by my other laptop. The first laptop seemed to ignore it.

2. dedub

dedub Corporal

We need a whole lot more info than that. What do you mean by connected a laptop to a dial in server. Kind of confusing. But to answer your question in the title, YES, you can connect two laptops to the internet with one dial up connection. There are several way and Ill just throw a couple out there.

1. Built in Windows ICS
    2. They sell routers for that application
    3. software Nat Program
    4. Software Proxy server

Im sure the guys here have LOTS more suggestion and links you can follow. Just know that you will need NIC cards in each of your computers.

3. whicky1978

What are NIC cards? I am just curious about the dial up connection, but its not something anybody needs to go out of their way for.

I just want to know if I can us the same phone line and dialup internet.

In a month or so, I plan to get DSL, and a wireless router.

BTW, is it possible to route dialup internet through a wireless router, and use a wifi card?

4. dedub

dedub Corporal

NIC cards are Network Interface Cards, the port that you plug in the Cat 5 cable into. It is a little bigger than the one you plug in your phone line. Some computers have them built in and some do not. If your do not have them then you will need to use PCMCIA NIC cards. Those are the cards you slide into the side of your computer about the size of a credit card.
    There are routers you can buy that will share out dial up but if your getting DSL I would wait until you get it to purchase a router. If you really feel like sharing out your dial up, one computer will do the dialing just like you have it now. That same computer will either run Windows ICS, a NAT program or have it as a Proxy server. Then you will connect both computers with cat 5 cable or through a hub. What you are trying to do is not easy and takes a some network experience.

good luck

5. whicky1978

NIC is an ethernet cable? I have a card that came with my computer, but have never used it because I was able to get wireless.

6. dedub

dedub Corporal

Well, the NIC card is usually built into the computer, the Ethernet cable (Cat 5) is what you plug into it. The connection is called an RJ-45 connector.

7. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Unless you have a special account you can not draw two connections from your service.

If you want to Share one connection between two computers this might help, http://www.ezlan.net/DialUp.html

:cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds