connect printer through wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ktiz, Jun 7, 2006.

1. ktiz

ktiz Corporal

Hi, I would like to network my computers together and I have no way of setting up the network so I can do this. One computer is on wireless, the other computer is physically plug into the wireless router via ethernet. Is there a way I can set that up so I can use the printer wirelessly and share files to and from each computer??? Thanks..

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

You need to set up print and file sharing in the network properties on both 'puters ....then after installing the printer on the wired 'puter, in the printer properties, choose sharing ....then in the wireless, install the printer as a networked printer ....

3. ktiz

ktiz Corporal

no, I get that... I just don't have a button to set up a wireless network, only a lan based network on the pc. The other comp has it.

4. TimW

Then I'm confused ...the wired comp connects to the router ....(should be in a workgroup) ...the "wireless" should connect to the router also ....and also be in the same workgroup ....both access the web and should be able to see each other in my network neighborhood ..(search for computers near me)..the printer is wired to wired computer ...the wireless should allow an install of a printer that is networked ...(the shared printer on the wired comp) ....should see it and be able to access it ...:confused: :confused:

5. ktiz

ktiz Corporal

mmm k, i'll try looking for it again, but when I looked for it before, all that waas found is the microsoft network, and that's not where the printer is... I created a workgroup but it can not be found by the wireless comp

6. TimW

Double click microsoft network.

7. ktiz

ktiz Corporal

nothing comes up

8. TimW

Did you set the wireless as workgroup? Did you set the printer to shared?

9. ktiz

ktiz Corporal

printer is shared, I forget about hte workgroup on the wireless. I think so but I'll have to check later. Thanks for the info tho

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds