BIG Problem with my dual boot system!

Discussion in 'Software' started by AirWarrior001, Apr 28, 2005.

1. AirWarrior001

AirWarrior001 Private E-2

Ok guys I need your help on this one. Im really stuck! I have a Dell laptop with a dual boot Windows XP Home Edition and Fedora Core 3. I decided I didn't want the Fedora Core anymore so I used Partition Magic 8 under Windows to format the Linux partition. When I applied the changes, the computer gave me a message that said the procedure would be performed on startup. Once the computer restarted it loaded some "Grub" prompt and the original OS selection screen never comes up!

2. kadavill

kadavill MajorGeek

Try booting from xp cd and try fixmbr and fixboot.

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Yes, do a kadvill suggests.

You obviously choose to place GRUB on the MBR of the Primary partion, which is the partion Windows resides on. When you did that FC3 wrote a new mbr giving control to GRUB. The Windows bootloader is NTLDR, when dual booting WIN/Linux is is always best to place the Linux Bootloader GRUB/LILO on the second partition. That way NTLDR has control of the boot process and passes control to GRUB/LILO when Linux is selected from the boot menu.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds