page file usage history question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmozaeko, Jul 1, 2005.

1. cmozaeko

cmozaeko Private First Class

can anyone tell me what it is and if it is supposed to be at a 197mb on a constant basis? when i an in a wb page it then goes to 213 and above.... is this normal?

thanks cristine

2. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

I use from 1g to 1g5 for 512m ram for my computer at my sig.

3. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

It is normal for pf usage graph in the task manager to variate.Depending on what load your apps and os demands.If you question is on how much your page file size should be then as Demented said it depends on the RAM.The pf usage is not depended on the page file size.Take a look at the task manager,performence tab>look at the commit charge(k) box,The total is the pf usage,limit is the RAM plus the page file size and peak is the highest value the pf usage has taken since last reboot.

4. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

I wouldnt get your self over worked up about the Page File, Windows XP is a 100% Page (virtual ram) operating system, ( think of page as a set amount of ram like 64kb ) windows will assign pages for applications, but will always give priority to what you have set in the virtual memory manager ( ie applications or services ) it will always try and make sure that any future programs that may be called upon will have some ram for them ( all applications are given a 4gb virtual page as a rule ) so seeing your PF usage like that is not at all anything to be worried about. my page file is around 180mb with 26 processes running. its just windows way. only get worried if the page file usage starts to creep up over time when doing nothing, as this would indicate a memory leak caused by a faulting application and would require investigation :)

5. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

WinXP set VM from 3xx-7xx at default. would I ask you some questions ?
    your computer run 26 processes at VM 180m right.
    Are they run at the same time or not and what prosesses are running ?
    how about ram you get for the computer? in this case ?
    OPMM :D

6. AMDxp

AMDxp N5638J's #2 Fan!

Take a look at the attatchment to see my running tasks :)

My system is an AMD Athlon XP 2200 (1.8Ghz) on a Soltek KT-600-C1L Motherboard with latest Bios upgrade version 7.00T on mine i think its Feb2005 for mine i flashed it.
    I have 1Gb Ram (actually 1048476KB but we wont go into multiplyers lol)
    You can see from my "comit charge" that windows has assigned about 1.3GB ( dont forget the figure includes the 1GB of RAM i have installed too) of Hard disk space for virtual ram, this is just under the 1.5 times of RAM that you would normally assign. so XP is dynamically resizing the page file to suit my demands.

Not all of those tasks will be on everytime I start my pc, IEXPLORER is simply internet explorer which is what i have open now to type all this. Some tasks start at windows boot up to perform logging and system checks, then automatically shut down and dissapear (if you get to task manager quick enough at start up you will see this happen ;) )
    Some tasks are services, and some tasks are applications and some are user start up entries.
    The tasks i have that you may not are :-
    InCD.exe (used by Nero for using CD RW disks like a floppy and gives you quick erase functions of CDRW)
    vsmon.exe (True Vector monitor for Zone Alarm Firewall )
    zlclient.exe ( Zone Alarm system tray icon )
    InCDsrv.exe ( InCD tray icon service )
    CTSVCCDA.exe ( my creative soundcard CD rom services )
    uphclean.exe ( a free microsoft update to cure long shutdown times by releasing the user hive archive from services still using it, [the registry to you and me] also stops the annoying error you get in your apllications logs about not being able to "write to the user hive archive, another application may still be using it" lol )
    All the other tasks are for keeping your computer running and giving you functions like networking and audio and some other sundry services like dns lookup (dns service in services is what enables you to type www. addresses otherwise you would have to use IP addresses everytime to access web pages lol)
    lsass.exe as a point of interest is the service responsible for windows security and log ons, and is/was targeted by hackers due to the amount of buffer overflow bugs that were in its original release, which is why microsoft constantly dish out security updates for lsass.exe

here is a brief description of what all the info means that you see in my task manager. hope some of this had made sense? if not ask me again lol

Memory Usage
    In Task Manager, the current working set of a process, in kilobytes. The current working set is the number of pages currently resident in memory. On the Task Manager Processes tab, the column heading is Mem Usage.

Peak Memory Usage
    In Task Manager, the peak amount of physical memory resident in a process since it started.

Virtual Memory Size
    In Task Manager, the amount of virtual memory, or address space, committed to a process.

paged pool
    The system-allocated virtual memory that has been charged to a process and that can be paged. Paging is the moving of infrequently-used parts of a program's working memory from RAM to another storage medium, usually the hard disk.
    In Task Manager, the amount of system-allocated virtual memory, in kilobytes, used by a process

nonpaged pool
    Operating system memory that is never paged to disk.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  7. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

You have 1g ram or more it is good for computer.
    26 processes in normal windows force at start up :) :confused:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds