Discrepancy between test download speed and true download speed

Discussion in 'Software' started by pparring, Mar 20, 2006.

1. pparring

pparring Private E-2

Hi,
    Can anyone enlighten me on why my DSL test shows my download speed should be in the 200-300kbps range and then seconds later I try to download an actual file (for example in the 25MB range) and the download window shows 19-35kbps and takes 30 minutes?
    I have tried the DSL Company suggestion of shutting down and turning off modem and restarting. that worked for a while but not anymore.
    Thanks
    Pat

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

You need to consider the upload speed of the file server you are accessing. You can only download from someone as fast as they are willing or able to upload to you There may be heavy demand on the server, they may lack the bandwidth to provide a faster upload to you or may even have an upload cap to save bandwidth (and money).

3. pparring

pparring Private E-2

Would that even apply to something like yahoo mail?
    That can be incredibly slow at time. It may take 20-30 seconds to open up an email that it text only or text and small pictures like an ad.

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It could.
    Did you check for malware to insure nothing else is using your connection unaware?
    You could exchange your modem and have your wiring checked to see if that is the issue, but it seems you are capable of those speeds according to the tests.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds