Resetting Permission

Discussion in 'Software' started by The Kingfish, May 22, 2015.

1. The Kingfish

The Kingfish Private E-2

Somehow I've lost Permission to access files on my external hard drive, so I'm resetting Permission on each file individually. Is there a way to reset Permissions on multiple files at the same time? Running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP 1

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Here is a reg key that adds "take ownership" to the right click menu.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1911-take-ownership-shortcut.html

If you do that, then Open My Computer and right click your external hard drive, it take ownership appears, select it. I haven't tested this but from reading, it seems like all the read only permissions will be gone.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

4. The Kingfish

The Kingfish Private E-2

I appreciate your help. FYI, for some reason, some of the files were not converted, but most were. Thanks a lot, you save me a lot of work.

5. plodr

What did you use so others reading this thread might try the same thing?

6. The Kingfish

The Kingfish Private E-2

7. plodr

Thanks for posting back. At least it partially worked which is better than having to reset permissions one file at a time.

8. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

9. The Kingfish

The Kingfish Private E-2

Thanks, I'll download and keep on hand in case the problem reappears.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds