Wireless router just stopped working, pls help me.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sandi149, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Sandi149

Sandi149 Private E-2

Hi,

I connect this pc to the internet via a cable modem but I also have a linksys wireless router model wrt54g that is also connected so my son can connect his laptop to the internet from his bedroom via the wireless router. Everything worked just fine until last night. All of a sudden the internet connection was lost. The cable modem lights went out. I thought maybe there was a problem with the cable company so I called them up and we did a whole bunch of tests and they said that something is wrong with the router. I can connect when the ethernet cable is plugged in from the modem to this computer but when I tried to put all the wires back into the router the connection is lost again.

Anyone know why this is happening when it never happened before. According to my son, there is a little indicator on his laptop that shows that he has a 90% connection to the Linksys but yet nothing connects for him. All the lights on the router that were supposed to be lit up were.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks. :)

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hmm, this just happened to me yesterday with the same router, weird. However, my cable modem was connecting properly and even if it's not connecting for a certain period of time, the wireless always came back.

What I did was click on the bars on the laptop, got the connection screen showing Linksys as available and clicked on the 'connect' button. It's working now. It's a Dell Inspiron laptop so your solution may be somewhat different.

BTW, the router has nothing to do with the cable modem, if the light for a connection is off then it's their issue.

I've had jerks tell me to reboot and I ask what does that have to do with your cable being offline. I never did get a good answer.:confused

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I just have the laptop connecting wirelessly to the router, it might not work for Sandi but that's what worked for me. at any rate, I won't hijack this thread anymore.:)

4. Sandi149

Sandi149 Private E-2

Wow, it took me a long time to get into this forum....have there been problems today?

I think my problem is fixed. I plugged all the cables back into the router and the modem and then unplugged the power supply from both the router and the modem....waited about 10 secs and then plugged them both back in. Then the modem reset itself and I was able to connect. I don't know about my son's laptop though, I will have to wait until he gets home from work to test it out.

I don't know why my cable company didn't think the problem was theirs since the lights on the modem weren't working. They did have me do some tests though and then finally I had to unplug from the router last night to get any sort of connection.

It does work now and like I said I will have to wait until my son comes home to see if his connection works also.

Thanks for the help. :) Hopefully I won't have to come back.

5. Sandi149

Sandi149 Private E-2

Just wanted to say that they always want to blame someone else. rolleyes At least they didn't tell me that there was something wrong with my computer....LOL!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds