How do i change from one router to another one?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LL2, May 30, 2010.

1. LL2

LL2 Private E-2

right now im connected to a belkin router and i want to switch to this other linksys that i have. i already tried just plugging everything in and hoping it works. do i install something?

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

If you are running a Cable Modem, you MUST power the modem off for it to see the new router.

I usually recommend turning off all computers and unplugging the power to the router and the modem. If the modem has a battery in it, remove it so the modem gets a fresh restart. Make all of your ethernet connections. Then power on ONLY THE MODEM and allow it about a minute to boot. Then power on the router and allow it to boot. Now power on your computers and you should be online.

A few things to note. Restarting the modem from the user interface will usually not do the job. Almost all cable modems need a cold boot to recognize a new device connected to them.

The reason you need to start the modem first and allow it to boot is because the router boots faster then the modem and the router is going to request an address from the modem. If the modem isn't ready, the router will bypass the request and boot without an address (0.0.0.0) which will prevent it from connecting to the modem and the internet. Almost the same thing holds true for the computers. They are going to request an address from the router and if it isn't ready, Windows will assign a default address that will be on the wrong subnet to connect to the router or the internet.

If you want more detail, go here.

3. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Changing Router and the configuration of the new one depends on your specific Provider and LAN configuration.

In general.

How to Fix Cable/DSL Internet authentication (password) - http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html

:cool:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds