Finally Shot Ivan Today!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have never owned a gun this long without shooting it! Some Russian was spoken today in the hills of Louisiana. The Mosin Nagant has a distinct sound to it. Of course, so does the M1 Garand, got to shoot one of those as well. :-D

Good times were by all! I was on target at 70 yards with my Mosin, I will take that! I am not a marksman. Was a beautiful ride in the country to get to this guy's personal range. I had a great time. Experienced the M1 Garand ping, now I want one. :-D

Just something odd about pouring boiling water down the barrel of a gun to clean it. But, it works. Corrosive ammo is cheap, but you have to clean.

Attached Files:

• Toys.jpg
      Toys.jpg
      File size:
      102.4 KB
      Views:
  2. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

I have one too. Love the fire that shoots out the barrell when you fire.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Did not see any fireballs. I hear the M44 has hella fireball when shot. Fun guns to shoot.

4. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Okay...so does anyone else here want to see an actual picture/video of Fred shooting one of his many guns? LOL

5. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

GIMMIE!!

Fred do what we did. Get some exploding targets and make a big snowman. need .223 or bigger to make it go boom though.
    Explosions= Pretty!

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I can not shoot pictures and shoot the gun. My friend may have a photo of me shooting. If he does, will post it.

Spock, the smallest we shot was a .223... The M1 Garand was of the 7.62x something, and I am sure the 7.62x54R will work on exploding targets. We had some, just did not have a whole lot of time.

I got my headspace guage for the gun today. A couple of days late, but it passed! Woots!

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Cool. :)

Btw, you really should have him video some of these shootings (or at least from behind you so you see the gun and whatever you're shooting). That would be kinda cool and you could show off all your guns.

8. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Ivan...
    Name all your guns?

I just bought a gun couple hours ago, a part of one anyway, time to round up all the other parts, Gunna build my first AR 15
    I've never named any of my guns before but I think this one I will...
    Here's "Grim Reaper"

Attached Files:

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

LOL, no, only named the shotgun Jesus, the first AR Arf, and Ivan. Way too much wood on this gun to name it female.

What caliber AR you making? :-D

10. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

It's will be 5.56x45, going for Light weight flat top

I thought about 7.62 x 39
    I'll probably end up building two cause I know I'll end up with a bunch of extra parts
    The second might end up as pistol, 5.56 could be an interesting pistol

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

LOL, you got the EBR disease bad. :-D

12. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Good one :-D

AR's Barbie Doll's for Guys....

13. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

14. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Fred_G, I thought of you while browsing the Sunday Ads yesterday. I needed new shoes and looked at a local discount store... lookie here....

15. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Not a bad price if you bought it locally. Not much info on where it was made or type of gun. Hard to get a rifle that shoots for around $100. :-D

This place has them starting at $79. Scroll down to the bottom. http://www.classicfirearms.com/firearms.htm

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

New Frontier Armory (I think that is the name) has or will have polymer lowers complete for around $100. Heck of a deal, and while I was not a fan, was impressed on their testing.

http://www.lw15.com/

17. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Careful with that commie gun Fred!

Ivan may tend to discharge accidentally whenever near a capitalist head,he may also tend to jam up whenever he senses free market ammo:-D

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

LoL, you forget the origins of the Mosin Nagant... The free world helped develop it. Commie gun...

"With the start of World War I, production was restricted to the M1891 dragoon and infantry models for the sake of simplicity. Due to the desperate shortage of arms and the shortcomings of a still-developing domestic industry, the Russian government ordered 1.5 million M1891 infantry rifles from Remington Arms and another 1.8 million from New England Westinghouse in the United States.[2] Remington produced 750,000 rifles before production was halted by the 1917 October Revolution. Deliveries to Russia had amounted to 469,951 rifles when the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk ended hostilities between the Central Powers and Russia. The remaining 280,000 rifles were purchased by the United States Army. American and British expeditionary forces of the North Russia Campaign were armed with these rifles and sent to Murmansk and Arkhangelsk in the late summer of 1918 to prevent the large quantities of munitions delivered for Czarist forces from being captured by the Central Powers. Remaining rifles were used for the training of U.S. Army troops. Some were used to equip U.S. National Guard, SATC, and ROTC units.[3] Designated "U.S. Rifle, 7.62mm, Model of 1916", these are among the rarest of American service arms. In 1917, 50,000 rifles were sent via Vladivostok to the Czechoslovak Legions in Siberia to aid in their attempt to secure passage to France."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin–Nagant

Ivan can spot the commies for me. ;):-D

Ammo this cheap might make a conservative cry. http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/product1569.html Unless they are doing the buying...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  19. Rikky

Interesting:)

One thing your rifle lacks Fred is an original 3.5 magnification scope,if I had one it would be a must have accessory.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9a/Zajcev_rifle.jpg

Apparently it has an effective range of 800m with optics.

Have you seen enemy at the Gates Fred?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enemy_at_the_Gates

20. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sniper rifles cost a lot more than my Mosin... From what I read, they took the most accurate of the guns and made them into sniper models.

I have seen that movie, but has been a while. :-D

21. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

really good film that Rikky and I have watched it at least twice, and if anyone has not seen it, its a really worthy film to watch.

22. Rikky

Agreed!And you get to see the top of Rachel weisz's bum:-D

That's what I mean just bolt an original or old 3.5 scope or replica to yours and see what see can do out to 800 yards:cool

I'd have to to see what the rifle is capable of and to see through the eyes of a Russian sniper.:major

23. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I will have to rent that movie and watch it. I believe I was thinking of another one..

Rikky, I think you would have to modify the gun to mount a scope. Don't want to do that. I THINK there is a mount you can get that does not alter the gun. But I got scope mounts for the 6.8SPC, if I buy a scope, it goes on that gun! I have heard the Mosin can be a very accurate gun, especially if you reload or buy better than the 1975 milsurp stuff I have. But heck for $80 or so for 440 rounds, you can have a lot of fun with a 5 shot bolt gun. :-D

24. theefool

theefool Geekified

25. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

26. Rikky

My favorite guy on youtube is fpsrussia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEi_m5jqak0&feature=fvst

Practically every one of his videos is a jaw dropper if you like guns,if you were a gun nut who could make any video you wanted to these are the videos you'd make,he started as an amateur but now makes a living making these video's and spends a considerable amount getting all the guns and permits.

One funny one he's goes to a mcdonalds with a live AA gun:-D Dunno if he had a permit for it or whether he had rounds on him if he did and they got his order wrong he could have leveled the whole building.:-D

http://www.youtube.com/user/FPSRussia#p/u/34/dSp7CipN1pw

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  27. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

28. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks for the links. I have seen the FPS guy, like his videos. Prices seem a little high on the link you gave Spad, but there are so many different types of guns, it is hard for me to keep up with them. The ammo seemed very expensive. You can usually find a spam can of milsurp 7.62x54 ammo for around $80 (440 rounds). That site had them for $8 per 20 rounds.

And as always, have nice day. :-D

29. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

I hadn't checked the ammo prices (I get ammo elsewhere). I was just looking at it as a possible source for and parts of various foreign-made firearms.

I have little experience with the cost of such, so I appreciate your opinion on it. Been thinking about picking up a surplus military rifle of some sort, and have been browsing about.

30. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds