html - can i lay one image on top of another in FrontPage?

Discussion in 'Software' started by wolfdogg, Sep 10, 2004.

1. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Private E-2

I'm doing a webpage... and my page header is a bunch of pics. On top of that, I was hoping to put a rotating text gif. Unfortunately, FrontPage (and maybe html in general?) won't let me put the gif anywhere without deleting what's below it first. Is there any way to do this?
    Much thx!
    jk

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you will probably have to use CSS and positioning to accomplish what you want in the manner you want to accomplish it.

CSS tutorial
    http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp

otherwise I would say, make it a flash animation.

3. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

I have experience with webdesign,,if you want to post the page addy here ---or PM me with the website addy,,,I will look at what you have and whip up some code to do the trick,,,Glenn !!! :)

can do it with HTML or flash for you as Kodo says hehehe!! GK

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

If you used a background image and then a gif with transparency, you could achive that effect :)

It would be advisable to learn some HTML and CSS before trying that though :)

5. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Have a look through the code used in the header. Its quite clever, it uses a PNG with transparency over a background. The filenames are a bit misleading though :

http://www.flexistentialist.org/

7. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

FYI, png trans doesn't work in IE..

8. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Private E-2

First off.. thx to all for the help! GlennK.. thx for your offer. I was going to take you up on it.. and then I saw what Goldfish suggested and it worked like a champ! After creating a table and just inserting a background image, I could add the new gif anywhere I wanted.

And the final result is.... http://www.springfieldsolutions.com/whatsnext/

Thanks everyone! You all are 2 for 2 in helping me here.

Good day!
    jk

9. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

there's a problem.
    the size of that animation is
    241.99 KB

That's HUGEEEEEE!!!!!!! dial-up users will curse you to die a horrible death.
    I would urge to you try to resize that animation for physical byte size , remove it, or use a flash banner in its' place.
    :cool:

10. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Private E-2

Hmmm... I guess it is bigger that I realized. Curse those dial up users! I hadn't really noticed it was that big. I'm glad you pointed it out. I will have to work on correcting with some Flash.. thank goodness for Swish!

Thanks for the advice.
    jk

11. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Private E-2

Hey Kodo (or anyone of course),

I got the same image down to 115KB now. Do you think that's small enough or still a bit too big?

12. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

30k.. that's acceptable.. any standard image on a main page should be around that size. 115k is still way too big.

Remember, dialup users are more likely to leave if the site isn't finished loading. Don't make them wait. The average load time that people are willing to wait is 8-10 seconds.

check this out
    http://www.websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/

13. glennk721

glennk721 MajorGeek

Kodo,,,Thanks much for posting that website !!!! very usefull as I keep building my sites,,,just a thank you !!!!!!!!! Glenn :) :) :)

14. wolfdogg

wolfdogg Private E-2

Good stuff. Thx Kodo! Thx to all.

jk

15. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

you're welcome guys.

16. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

It used to.

In IE 6 SP2, RC2, it worked.

In final, it doesn't, at least for me.

Its completely retarded.

17. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

I wasn't aware that it ever worked. Funny, it works on IE for mac.. :confused:

18. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Works for me (sp2 final)

19. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

hmm.. now I'm curious. Because the lastest chat log for IE development said they weren't supporting it. I will check this out , but I know for a FACT that it doesn't work on win2k sp4 IE 6 latest.

20. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

this = confusing.

*ARGH*!!*

Only smarties have the answers

21. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

That optimising engine is a bitch. I'm not allowed to have images in my blog, apparently, because that brings the whole page load to over 30k :rolleyes:

I've managed to get the page load time to 30 seconds on 56k... isn't that good enough?!!?

22. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

30 seconds on a 56k? would you sit there for 30 seconds on a 56k?

oh, tried trans png on my SP2 IE6 latest and it didn't work.

23. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Yeah but the 30 seconds is for the periphrial images like pictures in my blog entries. And they are not big by any strech of the imagination. All the layout images are teeny, in fact most of em are 1px wide. And they're all compressed as much as possible without them looking awful. They pop up pretty quick.

And TBH, ive already optimised CSS and all that sorta thing, there is nothing there that doesnt need to be. ive done as much as i possibly can to get the filesize down, and it still complains.

I've got it down to 14 seconds, btw.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds