The Optical Drive Conspiracy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Meta, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Meta

Meta Private E-2

Hi - Simply stated: the 8xDVD+/-RW DL optical drive is recognized by my Compac V2312 laptop (2 yrs old; Windows XP 2Pac) Device mgr but no discs put in the drive show in the My Computer window (d device). It makes a whirring sound several times and then stops. I think the motor has quit.
    Took it to Best Buy: they don't diagnose or sell optical drives for laptops. If I want to provide one they would be happy to install. Online HP shows one compatable device which isn't the one installed but a slightly newer model. Naturally, they want more than twice the amount than an online rebuilt (from Get Parts). Ebay sellers misrepresent what is compatible which I discovered through painstaking matching of parts numbers. Calling HP parts to ask if I could have a model number, instead of a parts number and could I upgrade my drive - well, I could practically hear the wires melting as I was transfered to an automated voice and finally to someone in India who had to ask his supervisor. He came back on the line to suggest that since I had to send it to HP to fix it and it would cost $600, I should just buy a new laptop! Any and all suggestions are very welcome. Many thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What brand is your current DVD burner?
    As I understand it that the only thing you have to worry about is if the front is flat or curved other than that notebook hard drives are pretty standard.
    Look here
    Code:
    http://www.geeks.com/products_sc.asp?cat=351
    for inexpensive options - maybe even the same brand you already have.

3. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Just for clarity, your o/s XP shows the optical drive in both My Computer and in the Device Manager, but loading any kind of disc is not detected ie the optical icon in My Computer does not change.

If that is correct, then I suggest that you download a small MS utility called Autofix (link below).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...b6-e8fa-45c4-a171-1b389cfacdad&displaylang=en

Basically, you need to run the utility whilst a disc is in the optical drive trying to load.

Installing some programs can sometimes cause the issue which you now have.

Good Luck

4. Meta

Meta Private E-2

Hi - Thanks for the posts;Still a mystery to me.
    The drive is HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GCA-4080N.
    I ran the AutoFix and the log follows.
    AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
    Time [2008-02-16 18:20:14]
    Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
    Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
    Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [D:\, Drive Type: 5]:
    Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
    Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
    Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
    HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
    HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
    HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
    HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [D:\, Drive Type: 5]:
    Result [Legacy Notification]: Problems
    Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
    Service (Silent)
    Shell (Deaf) }
    >> Repair << [Legacy AutoPlay Event]
    Step: No steps to take.
    Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
    >> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
    Step: No steps to take.
    Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

5. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Are you certain that you started Autofix prior to placing a disc in the optical drive. So have the disc in place in the open cd tray, then open Autofix and hit the run/start button (of Autofix) then close the cd tray.

6. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

sound like the drive is borked just buy a new one installing a drive is EASY

about 20-40 bucks at wall mart ^_^

7. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I had no idea that you could buy laptop DVDRW drives at WalMart, and for under $40 too! W O W !

(warning: the above comment is dripping with sarcasm. I'm actually pretty sure that WalMart doesn't sell laptop DVD burners, regardless of price)

8. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

no I was not being sarcastic the wall mart super center down the road form where i am carries a decent amount of pc goodies as for yours who knows
    try searching ebay for "laptop dvd burner" or tiger direct your best bet would be online tho :cool

9. Meta

Meta Private E-2

Dear R-R yes I ran Auto Fix with the CD in the drive (door open) and when it asked to duplicate the problem I closed the drive. It is the third time (a tech asked me to do it in January; he said the lens was dirty!!!) and still the same error log I sent you.
    My question is not so much is it gone (borked!) but how do I ascertain compatability or even an upgrade? As I said Ebay has proved to be unreliable. This is information that seems to be very hard to acquire!

10. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Well the only foolproof way is by getting to the optical drive and reading the manufacturer and part code on it....
    The other solution would be to look in the Device Manager expand the CD-ROM tab and hope that it gives you enough info. At least that way if you buy from ebay you will not be relying on someone telling you the drive is compatible.

Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds