Help with wireless connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Benkster, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Benkster

Benkster Private E-2

Hey everyone,

I've got a serious issue going on here. First of all, my Dell Inspiron 600m notebook will not connect to the internet. It use to connect just fine but recently I had a spyware infection. Since I have run spyware removal tools I cannot get on the internet. My notebook says it has great signal strength and is connected to the network, but still no Internet. I have another notebook that does connect on the network so I know it is a problem with the Dell and not the network. I have also tried connecting to the network with an ethernet cable and still have the same problem. I have tried WinSock XP Fix and still can't get on the internet. Can anyone help??

Here are some Specs:
    Wireless Router: Linksys 2.4 GHz 802.11b
    Wireless Card: Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

Display the message connected does not mean that there actual Network traffic.

Do you have a valid IP, and can connect the the Router's menus?

May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

3. jloring

jloring Private E-2

Don't know if this should be a reply or a new thread but I have a somewhat related problem in that I used to be dialup, now on wi-fi and satelitte but when I try to update my AVG free program, it won't unless it can dial in to my dialup ISP which I am going to cancel. So how does one update AVG through a different connection? By the way, I went to "show all connections" and tried to make the wi-fi one the default but that choice was not available, so no connection is a default choice at this point.

4. jloring

jloring Private E-2

Cat5 said: Do you have a valid IP, and can connect the the Router's menus?
    and May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

I have a valid IP as far as I know and am connected, surfing, email available, etc., all else works. I'll check out your URL link ... and let you know.

Another issue/question is how does one password protect our home wi-fi system? I know it can be done but have no idea how -!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds