Can you watch tv on just a computer flat screen without the computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Olivia, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Olivia

Olivia Private E-2

I know this may be an odd question, but I am wanting a flat screen tv in the worst way. I do have an Alienware account, and I am looking at their 27" Dell UltraSharp 2709W Widescreen Flat Panel monitor, but the thing is, I don't want to hook it up to my pc, I want to use it as a tv only. I don't know if that's possible or not since there are no hook ups for cable, and there are no speakers. I see there are some sort of tv turner sticks etc. to use, but I think those have to be hooked up to a computer first. Also if there is some way to get the monitor to hook up to cable, can an I buy speakers to hook up the the monitor such as surround sound? Is there anyway to do this?

I am looking right now at a Roku Digital Video Player and you can watch unlimited online movies from Netflix for 8.99 a month. I was looking at the Roku player thinking I might could hook something up to it, but then again, I don't see a port for cable hook up. What would be a good way to do this if it's possible?

I really don't have the money to go straight out and buy a flat screen, so that's why I'm wanting to do it this way.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

NTSC and PAL formats differ from eachother completely. Doing the reverse of what you describe is very easy, however this device can do what you ask.

http://starkelectronic.com/vga300.htm

In actuality, this will only work if your cable/satellite box has s-video or composite output, most do.
    I'm not sure if you need a PC hooked up to it, probably not, please consult with Stark for answers.
    However, you will need a bookshelf stereo system for the sound.

Shop around, you may find a better model somewhere...

http://www.svideo.com/video2vga.html

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
  3. Phobic

Phobic Private E-2

your best bet is probably to find a monitor that accepts HDMI input or a cable/satellite/whatever box that outputs DVI. in either of those cases, you simply hook up your monitor to the cable box like you would a TV.

4. Burning_Monkey

Burning_Monkey MajorGeek

that is what I have done.

I have a westinghouse 25" monitor and it works awesome as a PS3 display since it has internal speakers also. I only have 1 problem with it and that is that the monitor isn't VESA compliant.

5. ronbst

ronbst Private E-2

That is actually a great idea. I never thought about using a PC monitor as flat screen but if this would work I would definitely also like to have such a special flat screen. Recently I thought about buying a new tv. I also did television comparison shopping but I must admit that most of them are very expensive and I don't have so much money. Maybe I will also try to use a PC monitor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds