Unable to obtain IP Address

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rbyrne1, May 10, 2010.

1. rbyrne1

rbyrne1 Private E-2

I'm working on a friend's laptop and he cannot get an IP address via DHCP from either a wired or wireless network connection. I've tried "repair" on both connections with no luck. I've reset the TCP/IP stack with "netsh int ip reset <filename>" and I've run the WinsockXPFix program to fix the stack. No good on both counts.

It seems like all worked OK until he got "Antivirus 7" malware on the laptop and now everything's screwed up. I have posted on the MALWARE forum and they told me to come to this forum.

2. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

I had the same problem and Yahoo couldn't help.
    I went to Start>Run>Ipconfig and to Tools.
    Scroll to Internet Protocol.
    I have Xp - hope it helps.

Attached Files:

3. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Sorry - I meant to say that after Start>Run type Msconfig to get to Tools and Internet Protocol which will bring up Ip address.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2013
  4. rbyrne1

rbyrne1 Private E-2

No good. Both wireless and wired connections are set to obtain ip addresses automatically, and both currently report an ip address of 0.0.0.0. Release and renew do not work. Repair does not work. Rebuilding/repairing the TCP/IP stack does not work. I have a laptop (the one I'm typing this message on) that sits right next to the one that's messed up, works off of the same router (wired and wireless) and it works just fine (so the router is not the issue).

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have you tried updating the drivers?

6. rbyrne1

rbyrne1 Private E-2

Yes, I reinstalled the drivers to both the NICs and it still does not workk.

7. Myrddin97

Myrddin97 Private E-2

It wasn't the most elegant "fix," but it worked. After backing up the HD/data, I was able to get around a similar issue by using a Windows XP setup disk and going through a repair. I didn't lose any data, but why take the chance if you don't have too. I'm sure there has to be another fix, but I got tired of looking myself.

8. rbyrne1

rbyrne1 Private E-2

Great. This particular laptop is a notebook-type "mini-me" and does not have a CD drive. Is there any way to make an XP boot disk on a flash drive?

9. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Does tcpip work if you manually configure an IP address,mask,gateway and dns?

10. sijugk

sijugk Private E-2

Have you removed the malware from your friend's laptop? If no, you should remove the malware first. If it is already removed from the laptop follow the steps.

1. Most probably the malware infection may corrupted the network drivers (both wired and wireless). You may need to uninstall and reinstall driver.

2. If your laptop is not able to get automatic IP address from DHCP server, try assign a static IP address in the same range. Then try to connect to the network

3. If using wireless network, remove previously saved SSID's from your wireless network utility.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds