Best Network connection possible?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by prometheus, Mar 23, 2004.

1. prometheus

prometheus Private E-2

We are preparing to open a new office about 35 miles north of our main building. We currently have a building about a block and a half up the street with a 1.5Mbps :)( T1 connection. With the addition of the new space we are looking to keep about 70 users connected. I am trying to justify wireless connections for all sites. I just dont know how to go about doing it.(Boss gave me the project and new to this large scale networking) The key here is speed! The speed will probably justify the cost. If someone can lead me in the right direction or a least provide a starting point for a good solution. I would greatly appreciate it. New to the scheme of things here, any help greatly appreciated. Or if wired is the way to go as well?

2. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

T1 should be fine unless you transfer ungodly amount of info over the net. For wireless make sure you go with the highest speed you can find Netgear advertises 108 Mbps thats as fast as most wired networks but I dont think its hugely realistic and it will probably be around 54 Mbps. You also need to look into WEP encryption for security and I would limit the MAC addresses that can get on the network. I am actually going to seminar tomorrow on wireless so ill know more then :)

3. Wookie

Wookie Sergeant Major

I thought he was talking about wireless lan. Between buldings that far you probably want a point to point t1

4. prometheus

prometheus Private E-2

Thanks folks, this gives me a good head start!

5. DanTekGeek

DanTekGeek Master Sergeant

also, wireless isnt as fast or as stable as land lines [​IMG]

6. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Just to add something to the discussion, there is a microwave link between my school and the public library on the other side of town. The school is on top of a hill, so has near enough line of sight, and the library is only a mile or two away. Doesnt SEEM to go down very often, but over larger distances, prolly a different story.

Listen to xflat :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds