is there a way to make windows ME call the autoexec.bat file before windows loads

Discussion in 'Software' started by William, Sep 16, 2004.

1. William

William Private E-2

I am running win 98 SE. I have a friend who is running win ME. I made a batch file get rid of unwanted files at start up. It also deletes the index.dat files, which he gets an error message (file sharing violation),when ran on his machine. We changed the attributes of the folder, but they revert back to the original setting. I could go on and on about things we tried to make it work... But if the autoexec.bat file were loaded at startup, we could call our batch file from it before windows loads, eliminating the sharing violation error message. Can anyone tell us how to get WIN ME to load the autoexec.bat file.

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

William, I also use W98SE. Everything I've read says what works on 98 should work on ME. I would have thought that ME would load a config.sys file (if you have one), then autoexec.bat, then boot into Windows. Have you loaded the instructions to delete Index.bat in Autoexec.bat, or do you call a batch file from Autoexec.bat?

Have you tried these 3, all free.

Cleanup! http://www.stevengould.org/ Freeware 3.1
    EmpTemp http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=1575
    and CrapCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html

Cleanup! or CrapCleaner find and mark your Index.dat files for deletion if you re-boot immediately after running them. I don't reboot straight away but I run a batch file from the C:\ prompt after re-booting into DOS mode and delete Index.dat that way. Bazza

3. William

William Private E-2

Bazza, I call a batch file from the autoexec.bat in win 98 SE, which does the trick automatically everytime i start the pc. I win ME it doesn't load the autoexec.bat at startup, so we can't call it from there. He has got it set up so it runs his batch file at startup, but we get the error message because windows is already using the index.dat files. He does have the Crap Cleaner program, but we wanted to get it set up to automatically delete them... I just installed win ME on my other pc with a dual boot system with XP. Maybe I can figure out how to edit the config.sys file so that it will call the autoexec.bat before windows loads. I don't know if this is possible... havn't messed with it much yet. In xp you can overwrite the index.dat file with a blank one... but that don't work in ME... we were trying to find a way to call our batch file before windows got loaded... Thanks for the reply.... William

4. bigbazza

William. Sorry I can't help more. I don't know ME at all. Are you saying that ME won't run an autoexec.bat file at all? Never runs one? Any ME experts out there please step in. You really don't need to delete the index.dat file every bootup, although it is nice to do so. All I can suggest is run Cleanup! or Crap Cleaner every couple of days and re-boot, until you get a solution. Bazza

===

5. William

William Private E-2

Bazza, I don't think ME uses the autoexec.bat. I tried calling our batch file from the autoexec.bat, and it didn't run. I also looked in the step by step confirmation list, and it doesn't appear on it either.

6. bigbazza

Sorry William, I'm fresh out of ideas. Don't bother about trying to remove Index.bat on bootup. Just run CrapCleaner or Cleanup! after each session, and reboot. This will get rid of Index.dat.

Any ME users out there, please step in. Bazza

PS: this might work.

Try adding these commands to your autoexec.bat

del c:\windows\locals~1\tempor~1\content.ie5\index.dat
    del c:\windows\cookies\index.dat
    del c:\windows\history\history.ie5\index.dat
    deltree /y history
    deltree /y c:\windows\history.

These form part of my Index.dat delete batch file that I run manually every day or so.

Modify the "del" commands depending on where your Index.dat files are located.
    You may need the tilde ~ (instead of the detailed path, to make them work)
    Bazza

===

7. bigbazza

william, don't keep us is suspense. Did my last suggestion work, or not? Bazza

8. William

William Private E-2

Bazza, Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, My cousin had given up on it, but we had tried the variations of the commands you mentioned and they will not work on his. How ever I mentioned that I was going to install me on my pc, which is me upgrade from win98Se... Mine calls the autoexec.bat file and works like a top... the only thing i can figure is mine is using the configuration from win 98... Thanks for the Ideas. And again sorry to keep you waiting on an answer... thanks William

9. bigbazza

William, thanks for the update. Everything I have read here on MG, about M$ ME, is that ME is not an improvement over W98SE. One quote that I read was something like "They took all the good bits out of W98SE and replaced them with crap in ME". I'm sure others will agree, some will disagree. Me, I wouldn't try ME, even if given it for free. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds