HELP! with Toshiba DVD-Rom

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wmwise, Mar 31, 2006.

1. wmwise

wmwise Private E-2

Howdy! My putor did the old crash, I ended up having to do a full format and reload, no small task for a putor dummy like myself. Now my Toshiba DVD-Rom will no longer play any type of DVD. I am just guessing that I have lost my decoders, drives, ect. Anyone know where I can find these for free?? I would really like to get the DVD back up and running. Just in case you need this info.....
    Compaq Presario
    Windows EX Pro
    AMD Athlon (tm) XP 2000+
    1.67 GHz
    480 MB Ram
    80GB HD

Thanks!!
    Bill

2. wmwise

wmwise Private E-2

If this helps any, When I run the device manager, it tells me that I do not have a Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

Thanks Again
    Bill

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

What DVD player are you using? software not hardware. Like powerDVD?

But you really should install your video drivers, use Everest to determine which card you have. Also try right click the desktop>properties>settings tab>advanced>adapter tab, it may tell you there.

4. wmwise

wmwise Private E-2

Thanks for the post Pyrate, doing like you stated, it showed.....

Vga Save
    Device Type: Non-Plug and play drivers

Does this help any?

Thanks
    Bill

5. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

No, but it's the thought that counts ;)

You have a compaq, it probably has a model number. If you could post that I could tell you what video card you have, or you could put that number into a search at hp.com and find it yourself. Whichever you feel more comfortable.

But uh...what DVD player are you using? I'm not referring to your toshiba but the software application you are trying to play the DVDs with. I like media player classic although it is rather geeky, it's not really hard to use.

6. wmwise

wmwise Private E-2

I told ya that I was a putor dummy :D

Its hard to teach an old dog new tricks, I downloaded windows media player 10 thinking that would help, but it still will not play a DVD, the Compaq info is..
    Presario 83000Z
    Prod# P8654X
    S/N# MXP32001YV

Did I do alittle better this time?????

Thanks alot bud!!!!

Bill

7. wmwise

wmwise Private E-2

Also..... When I try and play a DVD, this is what it shows.....

Windows Media player cannot play DVD video, open display and lower your screen resolution and color quality settings.

I have tried resetting both, a number of times, but always the same result. Still cannot play.

Thanks
    Bill

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds