Very strange problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Raider, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Raider

Raider Private First Class

I have a customer whose grandaughter was playing a game on her computer (actually she never got started). Anyway, while waiting on the game to start she rested her chin on the keyboard (right in the middle around G H J and that area) and the computer froze up. When they did a manual restart all that is there is the background and the cursor still works you can move the mouse wherever you want. The Icons and the start bar are nowhere to be found.

It is a Hewlett Packard computer with Windows ME.

Any suggestions?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

For the taskbar try pressing CTRL + ESC or your the Windows key to make the taskbar reapear ( I guess some of those keys may have made it hidden )

if that dont work... start in safe mode and the taskbar should reapear and or press the keys below.. then restart normally.

fot the desktop icons first thing come to mind is the ICON Repair function in TweakUI

3. Wisewiz

Wisewiz Apprentice's Sorcerer

Hey Raider,

The obvious question: Is it possible she just blew the keyboard? If there's another kb in the house, try booting with it attached in place of the onetime chin-rest. Might be the only problem.

A simple bad kb can cause a LOT of screwy stuff.

4. Raider

I will have the computer tomorrow I was just looking for some ideas before I got it.

Thanks.

5. Raider

I had to do a dirty install. Systray and Explorer were nowhere to be found. Probably won't ever know what really happened.

6. billH

billH Master Sergeant

Might want to junk the keyboard just on general principles. It could have been a tiny zap of electrical arc going on that caused the nuke. I had an old KB do that to me once and wasn't that a pile of fun. 'Sides keyboards are cheep long as you don't want one of those Wurlitzer-chromed-mudflapped-coon-tailed-all-in-one babies that are out now:D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds