Incorrect size of partition in Windows

Discussion in 'Software' started by CvxVcx, Jul 20, 2008.

1. CvxVcx

CvxVcx Private E-2

Hello!

I have 2 partitions (System D:)20GB and (Files C:)60GB. Today I've formatted D: partition due to very slow work of my PC. After successful installation of Windows XP, I saw that Windows shows that C: partition has only 10GB, in addition, entire partition is free :-D, but my all files are still on that partition and all is OK except for wrong size.

My OS: Windows XP SP 2
    My HDD: Western Digital 80GB

P.S. I've tried to defragment and scan for errors but...nothing

May it's caused by another version of Windows (SP1) which was before formatting?

Greetings!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Windows XP SP1 has partition size issues with drives larger than 127gb, but your drive is smaller than that. One thing I'm confused about: you said your system partition is D: and your files partition is C:. Are you sure you didn't get this backward? Having D: as a system partition can be problematic because everything (including Windows itself) is designed to think that C: is the default system parition. In my humble opinion, you should start from scratch... de-partition the entire drive and create your partitions again and this time make sure Windows goes on C:. If there's stuff you don't want to lose, you'll need to back it up somehow.... with the cost of hard drives being so low, this would be a good time to buy a bigger drive; you could use the entire 80gb for your system drive, then buy an external 160gb (under $100 at any PC store) or an internal 160gb (under $70 at any store, under $50 on line http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136112) and use it for your files....

3. a_pitz

a_pitz Private E-2

ei!
    try to reformat ur drive...
    insert a cd-os and try to get in.
    f ur in the setup of os,try to delete d:
    and must have only one patition w/c s c:
    then format it...
    after that use utilityware that will partition ur drive
    or try to restart ur computer
    then get in the setup...
    then try to partition ur c drive.
    having that reverse d and c,,maybe virus causes it...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  4. CvxVcx

CvxVcx Private E-2

No, no, I have reversed partition letters for a long time, it isn't virus. I know that format of entire disk will be a very good choice, but I have over 40GB files to backup :/. The only one good way is to connect second PC and make ad-hoc network, probably the fastest choice.

Yeah, I should buy larger driver.

Thanks for replies!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds