backing up dvd

Discussion in 'Software' started by cob, Apr 10, 2004.

1. cob

cob Private E-2

I have backed up some of my movies and found out that some of my dvd players will not play my copies. I have tried dvd / rw's , dvd +r, dvd -r. Agian, some of my backed up dvd's will play on some players,. I have tried every kind of DVD on the market! Is it the program that I am using? Or is it the crap Dvd players that I own. Most of the time, the movie will skip around alot, making the movie unwatchable! Whats up with this??? I have tried dvd shrink and dvd decripter but the learning curve was to big**** i am a newbie***** I have also tried there message board but had no luck!

thanks,
    cob

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

If they play on some players and not others, it is typically the player. Your player may not support DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD+/-RW. You need to check the specs. You can also take a look at dvdrhelp.com for ratings/reviews on many players. Goto this link:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

You will also find that certain players also just do not like a particular media brand and could also have problems based upon the speed you burn at. Find a brand that works and stick with it. That could be tuff too if you go with name brand since they constantly change who they buy from before they stick their label on it. Most people like Ritek (by Ridata). Good price too via mail order.

DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter do not have a big learning curve. They are just about the simpliest one step backup tools out there and they work great and are free. You need to start spending a little time reading some of the guides available. It is not that difficult. How are you backing things up if you did not use these free tools. Hope you did not waste your money on DVDxCopy. It does work (most of the time but does have problems) and it is way too expensive for what it does.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  3. General_Lee_Stoned

General_Lee_Stoned BuZZed Lightyear

Also if you are getting a lot of skipping make sure you use good quality media and not the dirt cheap stuff
    And make sure you burn the discs at the slowest speed ;)

4. slot.me

slot.me Private E-2

I also use DVD shrink alongside DVD Genie for non region 2 DVD's - Yes, we have region TWO in Europe!

Also, a general rule of thumb regarding DVD-R and DVD+R disks;
    DVD-R use for Games, ie. X-Box, Playstation 2 etc.
    DVD+R use for Movie backups ;-)

Either way, no good if the player doesn't support the media.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds