How long should it take for me to burn a DVD? How do I burn faster?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jadamuah2k2, Jan 13, 2008.

1. jadamuah2k2

jadamuah2k2 Private E-2

Hey I have windows vista OS and i have this kind of cd rom drive... optiarc dvd+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device

How long should it take for me to burn a DVD?

HOW DO I FIX IT!​
    I KNOW MY SHIT IS ****ED UP AND I KNOW IT TAKES LONG THEN IT SHOULD BUT HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE AND HOW CAN I FIX THIS PROBLEM

How long should it take me to just copy and burn an actual dvd I bought in the store?

AND

How long should it take me to make an avi file into a dvd??
    (the kind u download online)

The reason why I'm asking is because it takes me MAD long to burn shit...I takes me almost 2 hours sometimes more! (when burning and avi file to dvd)

When I copy a dvd it takes a long time too...not as long but still longer then i think it should...

PLEASE HELP!!!:eek:

i need some major geek help!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If you're using the built in Vista DVD burning, it can take some time. Everytime I've tried to use it, I've cancelled the operation because it was so slow I couldn't tell if the PC had locked up or if anything was happening. If using Nero or something, burning a full DVD movie (in DVD format) shouldn't take more than 20 minutes. If you're converting AVI files to standard DVD format, and then burning the movie, it will take some time. I do quite a bit of AVI video conversions, and a full movie (from AVI file to finished watchable DVD for the home player) takes anywhere from 80 minutes to about 2 hours, depending on the source files size, compression, codec, etc... just burning the AVI without any conversion should only take a few minutes. When I burn DVD format movies, I burn them at 4x; higher speeds seem to produce lower quality results. Saving a few minutes to end up with jumpy video, or a hiss in the audio doesn't make sense to me. Even when burning the AVI files straight to disc, I do it at lower speeds to be sure the end result is of high quality, but even at these lower speeds, a 700mb AVI file should take no more than 5 or 10 minutes to burn, maybe 15 minutes at the most. Alot of video conversion and burning speed depends on your PC hardware: if you have low amounts RAM (like under 1gb) or a slower CPU (under 2ghz) it will take a LONG time. On older PCs, converting a 700mb AVI to DVD format can take over 8 hours! If you have lots of background processes running, system resources won't be available for the video conversion, and will slow it down. When I work with video, all background processes except for the essentials are disabled (well, they're always disabled) as are the screensavers. Also, many older DVD drives only read and write at 1x or 2x, which makes everything slower also. So, in short: Vista's built in DVD burning is famously slow, use a 3rd party burning tool. Video conversion takes time, so be patient. Upgrade your RAM (and CPU if possible) for better performance (duh! ;) ). Older DVD drives are slow. Reduce background processes and turn off screensavers.

3. jadamuah2k2

jadamuah2k2 Private E-2

thanks you really broke it down.... could the problem be also i have only an 8x drive? someone told me that is a really slow drive...mine isnt even a year already lol but what kind of drive should i get? how much should they cost? i have a dell inspiron 1500 laptop.

i use nero for my burning of the avi files...all 700mb...that what most of my burning consists of.... i also use the burn to disc method (in nero) which doesnt create temp files on my HD. I noticed that makes it a little faster...should i also determine my burning speed prior to the burn so its set and i do not have things like the audio not matching the persons mouth in the movie (lol i hate that) im assuming that is what the problem is there

BUT my real concern was the amount of time it took in order to burn a dvd...

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I sent a PM to the original poster....

8x is fine for DVDs. Like I said, I burn my DVDs at 4x to preserve quality. Personally, I've never had much luck using Nero to convert AVIs to standard DVD format for use in my home DVD player. I use DVD Flick (http://www.majorgeeks.com/DVD_Flick_d5530.html and the how-to guide is here http://www.dvdflick.net/guide.php). ImgBurn is built into DVDFlick and it does the actual burning of the disc. After installing DVDFlick, go to C:\Program Files\DVDFlick\ImgBurn and launch the .exe. Set the burn speed to 4x, and exit the program. Then, when DVDFlick is launched, and starts burning, it will burn at the speed set earlier, in this case we used 4x. I've never had problem with lip sync using DVDFlick unless the source file was messed up. In that situation, you have to use something like AVImux or maybe VirtualDub to advance or delay the audio to sync it up again.

5. Guv

Guv Private E-2

Hello,
    Wondered if anyone could assist. Converting avi divx files etc using Smart DVD Creator Pro to standard dvd format to play on dvd player. This process seems to take way took long, eg avi 2hr film takes over 5hrs - is this normal?
    My spec is a Dell , Dimension dm061, Vista PC, DUAL CORE Processor, 32 bit operating system, Intel R CORE TM2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86 ghz 1.86 ghz, 1022MB,loads of space on disk, (32gb free of 148gb).
    Any assistance would be appreciated, could it be the Smart Dvd creator pro software? Obviously don't want o pay out for different software if that isn't the issue.

Many thanks in advance

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds