2 Part Question For Computer Buying

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oooops!, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Hi! My Dad is looking at buying a new computer. He's not sure if he wants a desktop or laptop........ more leaning towards a desktop at the moment.

He's a basic user like myself, mainly surfing and e-mailing. Currently, only dial-up connection is available in his area. Possibly looking at wireless, but may be too expensive.

Upon shopping, he's run into a few curious questions, and I think he's getting frustrated with all the information out there. Neither one of us are too computer knowledgeable. I have two questions that he's asked me to post, as he's heard both good and bad comments/opinions, often conflicting with each other.

Part 1
    A gentleman has offered to build Dad a very basic desktop computer using Dads current XP disk. However, this man cautioned that Dad could buy a pre-built computer from a retail store with the new Vista system, plus more addons, than what he would be paying this other guy for.

So, if Dad goes for the retail store pre-built computer that comes with Vista, instead of having a computer put together with his old XP disk, we've both heard that many Vista users aren't too happy. I've heard that Vista is mainly a lot of "eye candy".

Here's the question......... the complaint about Vista, is it something called, "drivers" that aren't compatible? He wouldn't be upgrading XP to Vista on his old machine, it's way to ancient for that. So, if he bought a pre-built computer, that already had Vista installed, would he run into many complications?

Part 2
    If Dad buys a pre-built computer from a retail store, he doesn't have a specific "brand" in mind that he wants to buy. He's just been comparing everything to get an idea. He's curious as to why Dell brand seems to be looked down upon. Everybody has an opinion on everything, but Vista and Dell seem to be the ones that stick out the most when it comes to strong negative opinions.

My apologies for a lengthy post, I'd like to try and help him out. So many options out there that makes it confusing for your average basic computer user. Opinions/comments greatly appreciated!
    :eek

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Driver have been known to be an issue, particularly for 64 bit versions of the operating system, and for peripherals. I haven't had a problem with system hardware, myself. Most prebuilt (OEM) systems will be certified as Vista ready. Look for a sticker that says so. This way, you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm not a fan of Dell, myself. I've found that the hardware is always bare minimum, and to upgrade you need either their technicians, or to buy extra parts to facilitate the upgrade. Huge bucks.

I don't like their support, either. I can't tell you how frustrating it is to get an answer like "just mail it in with a blank cheque". IBM/Lenovo, on the other hand, will walk you through EVERYTHING if you're using their hardware. Even things not relating to their product, like installing printers. They even have a 'IBM/Lenovo Care' utility that will keep ALL your drivers and firmware up-to-date. (or install them for the first time if you're just building the machine)

3. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

well, if i were him, i'd probably buy a new computer, as it will come with some kind of warranty. will, this guy warranty the computer for a period of time? do you all really know the guy (etc.)? how much is he going to charge? my cousin had a computer built and she had a few problems with it (pre - xp), but she just delt with it, i told her she should upgrade it to xp, but she didn't. she wound up getting another one built (not sure if same person), but this one is way better comp.

you'll get more bang for your buck with a desktop, than a laptop (and you'll be lucky to get a year out of your laptop battery). then, you'll have a desktop, unless you splurge for another battery? also, if you get a decent comp, you can upgrade the sound card, add more ram, etc., get some better speakers, to make it a better comp. as time goes on.

i personally, have had good luck with hp/compaq. pretty much, that's all i buy (good value vs. price). i don't like dell (way overpriced), and i don't like their software bundle. a while back, when i was pricing computers, i had looked at a couple of dell, and gateway, and they only had a 3 - 6 mo. warranty, on what i was looking at. i'm not sure if that was lowend or what? anyway, all of the hp/compaq that i have looked at (and bought), all carry at least a 1 year warranty.

if you buy a new computer with vista, you shouldn't have to worry about driver problems (as it is ready to go). you would run into problems, if you wanted to erase your vista and go back to xp (then you would run into driver problems, etc.). if you buy a computer and it's vista (or any os), when you purchase items for it (it should say if it's compatible for that os, etc.).

down here where i'm at (especially this holiday weekend), you can get a lowend computer for about $350-400, and a midgrade computer for about $450-600, etc. i'm always looking at the ads. i'm not sure what all stores you have up there in canada?

where i'm at (bestbuy, circuit city, compusa, office depot, officemax, etc.).

anyway, g/l - sos

oh, i forgot to mention. i'm on my gateway computer (which is almost 7 years old), the h/d went out about 2 years ago (or so), and i've upgraded the os from windows me, to xp, that i had from my gateway comp that died. i like gateway stuff also, they are a little more pricey lately, than hp/compaq. it really just depends on what you want, how much you want to spend/features, etc. if it were me, i wouldn't get the cheapest thing (like an e-machine). i'd get a decent comp. that you can upgrade yourself over time. and, of course, do what you are doing now, ask alot of questions.

4. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thanks so much for the replies, this is exactly the information that I need for Dad.

(sosaman, we also have an Office Depot here in Canada - not much selection however- also Futureshop and Staples).

This is excellent, thanks so much!

5. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Well, so far I think Dad has decided to go with a desktop, instead of the laptop idea.
    Is there anything you guys recommend that he watch out for?
    Thanks!

6. BirdBath

BirdBath Sergeant Major

Desktop for Dad is a far better idea.

I dont know what Dad plans on but make sure the motherboard is upgradeable.

Enough memory slots and so on.

7. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

as i mentioned before, it just depends on what you want it for. does he just want a plain jane computer for now? or does he want a semi-decent computer that he won't really have to do alot to, or will be decent down the line?

when i'm helping my family, i always suggest that they don't get the cheapest thing, as it will be slow, and you won't be happy with it. you might at 1st, as it's your new comp, but as time goes on (even a few months down the road), you would have wished that you had spent a little more to get a decent comp (faster processor, etc.).

i'd probably go middle of the road, that i can upgrade ram later on, sound card, etc. you'd be suprised at how good of sound you can get out of your computer, and that can (well mine kinda is) be your whole entertainment center. i actually go into my study, and watch movies, on my 5.1 surround sound.

if he wants a decent computer, i'd probably go with an amd "athlon", or intel "pentium 4", or either of the dual core processors.

to bad your not here in the states, as this would be a decent computer (the price is without the monitor though).

http://www.compusa.com/products/pro...y=1&D=T690-UD210A&Ntk=All&product_code=346298

8. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

As far as I know, Dad would like a basic computer that will last a long time, possibly upgradeable, but he's stubborn and doesn't want to spend the money on it. He drives me crazy sometimes! lol I've been sending him the replies from this thread, and I hope he realizes that he needs to spend a little to get a decent computer that he'll be happy with. I think he'd enjoy the experience so much more! I wonder if his dial up speed would increase slightly with a new computer? lol The one that he's got is probably a few years old, and he was told that it's not going to last much longer, as something inside is "bubbling"?????
    :eek

I will e-mail Dad that link you provided me sosaman, that will give him an idea of what he should be looking for. Thank you very much.

As for RAM or GHz or what have you, is there a minimum that he should be looking at for Vista Home?

Again, thanks everybody, appreciate your patience with us and your ongoing help.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  9. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Don,t go below 1GB RAM.And be sure that the MOBO is upgradeable for CPU,GPU and RAM.One thing,for PSU don't go below 450W,cos your gonna needed for future upgrades.

10. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

I had to Google most of those short forms, lmao
    :eek:

11. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Oooops! just a couple of links for Online buying in Canada link http://www.canadacomputers.com/ , this is one that Mada Milty showed me awhile back, both of us have had good service from these folks.

Tiger Direct in Canada, I have not used them, but friends have link http://www.tigerdirect.ca/

Dell Canada link for Laptops which price wise I don't think you can beat, and the one I purchased for the Wife has been trouble free http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn

Think you will find better products at cheaper prices at these sites than you will from any "Box" retailer. Hope that Helps...eh;)

12. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

MOBO-Motherboard
    CPU-Central Processing Unit(AMD & INTEL)
    GPU-Graphic Processor Unit (graphic card)
    RAM-Random Access Memory (Memory Stick)
    PSU-Power Supply Unit

13. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

Thanks, eh! Forwarding this to my Dad as we speak.
    ;)

Much appreciated!
    :wave

Everybody, your help is overwhelming! I appreciate it soooo much!
    Thank You!
    :celebrate

14. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

yeh, it looks like that canadacomputers has some good prices (if that's U.S. $). i had a friend that used tiger direct here in the states, and he said they are good, but they are hard to deal with when trying to straighten out rebate stuff or trying to get any warranty done (thru them).

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014496&cid=170.315 <-- ($254.99, after $50 instant savings) this would be a decent comp (i'm only showing for example). although it's refurbished, it still has a 1 year warranty. it is something that you should be able to work with. i'm guessing it has no monitor. but, if he has a working monitor, then that shouldn't be a problem?? - i'd probably ugrade the ram to at least 1 gbyte (or just buy a 1 gbyte stick and you would have about 1.5 gbyte) of ram. and, most people would say to at least get windows vista "home premium", instead of "home basic". i think it would be a decent start.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=014955&cid=170.45 <-- ($369.99) this one would be a little better. still refurbished, and no monitor.

http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/con...pire+T180+Series&distributor=0&submit1=Search <-- this just shows (so to speak) that it's upgradeable to 4 gbyte of ram.

anyway, just be patient, and look around. g/l, sos

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds