trying to edit a pdf file

Discussion in 'Software' started by jennmomof3, Apr 17, 2008.

1. jennmomof3

jennmomof3 Private First Class

My son has a huge state project he is working on. I scanned the pages of the packet (the teacher handed out) for him to enter his stuff onto the pages, as he would rather type it in then hand write it. But they are coming up as pdf files. Is there a program I could install or do a trial with so that we could convert these to Word 2003 so he could add his answers directly on the sheets?

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

The scanner software doesn't give the option to save as anything other than .PDF?!?!

I would play with that before bringing more software onto the computer.

3. jennmomof3

I tried scanning it to save as a Word document. When it opened in Word, it moved the instructions for the page, it kept the first 3 questions, then the very last one, but when it scanned, the "preview" showed the whole page correctly. I've tried the other save options, and they didn't come out either.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I agree.
    The first and easiest solution is to set your scanner output to TXT or RTF.
    As long as you have Optical Character Recognition installed (most modern scanners have it embedded in their software). You should be able to edit the output file using Word.
    If that is not an option, there is a program available called "PDF to Word Converter"
    http://www.docudesk.com/deskUNPDF_p...verter.shtml?gclid=CNr9w6mw4pICFQ58PAodgmI0ew
    that allows you to use it unlimited for 30 days.
    After that it is a $60 program.
    There may be freeware converter programs available.
    Perhaps someone else here at MG will fill you in on them.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If you cannot get scanner to output to a text doc as mentioned above then try this, a bit old school and may work is to highlight all of the PDF text and then copy it CTRL+C then paste CTRL+V into a Word doc. Not noticed any of the freebie PDF to Word converters I have tried working well.

6. jennmomof3

Thanks guys,

I've tried downloading a few programs to convert, but nothing is working well, like Halo said. I tried the cut and paste and it didn't work either. Guess I better get typin! I'll get it as close as I can to the original.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds