Win 8.1 install with 8 key

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Jun 22, 2014.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    I was being advised as to how to install Win 8.1 with the disc I created,the generic key and my Win 8 key.
    I am confused as to when I should update windows before or after activation.
    I was told to install with the disc and generic key, activate with my Win 8 key, activate WMC, then do the rest such as update Windows, and install the printer, Office and other drivers.
    Any help appreciated.
    Peter

2. Ewen

Ewen Corporal

Install Windows 8, activate it and then get the free 8,1 update from the Windows store. It will update automatically (and it's free)

3. Valinorum

Valinorum Private E-2

Hi,

Users can update to 8.1 free if they have a functioning Windows 8 in their system. You can follow the following steps --

• Just install Windows 8 from your bootable media (CD, DVD, or USB).
    • Apply all the necessary updates from the Windows Update. This step is crucial as the updates contain two updates which will make the Windows 8.1 available for your Windows 8 machine.
    • Navigate to Windows Store and click on Update to Windows 8.1 for free.
    • The download is big (~3GB) so be patient. You can resume your regular work and the download can be done in background.
    • When the download finishes you will be notified. Please follow the instructions.
    For more information, peruse this.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

That is how I got to 8.1 successfully and thank you.

I was told I can get right to 8.1 with the 8.1 disc, the generic key to install and my own 8 product key to activate.

I cannot reach him again but I don't know if, using this procedure, when to perform Win updates , printer and WMC etc.

5. Valinorum

Valinorum Private E-2

Although I have not checked but it should not work as two .iso contains different key patterns regardless Windows 8.1 being an update given free towards Windows 8 users. Your safe and best course is to install Windows 8 and then update to 8.1 keeping all your settings intact.

6. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

.Net 3.5 Framework updates is another reason i am sure when to activate -
    I am not skilled enough to force an install of it.

7. Valinorum

Valinorum Private E-2

I did not understand?

8. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Valinorum

Please disregard the framework comment.

If I understand you correctly I should use the Win 8 disc to install with my prod key, update all the Win updates, WMC, drivers (ex printer), Office and go through the store to Win 8.1.
    When at 8.1 I can update what is then necessary and install any programs I need.

I have forgotten, is there a choice to keep all settings or do I choose a clean install while installing 8?

Thank you

9. Valinorum

Valinorum Private E-2

If you are upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 you can keep your settings. But sometimes due to the edition difference (Home, Professional, Ultimate) you are only given option to keep your personal files only.
    More information: here.

10. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Yes, I had Win 7 Pro and now have Win 8.1 pro.
    I finally unraveled this by asking a fried in the field.
    I bought a pc with Win 7 pro and made the Win 8 disc from the iso. I then used the store to get 8.1.
    All is well. I was asking if there is a more direct route. He sent me steps to do so. First I insert the Win 8.1 disc I made from the iso but without a product key.
    Then I use generic product keys to install 8.1.
    Using slui.exe 0x3 I enter my Win 8 product key and that activates Win 8.1.
    Now I can install WMC and get all the Win updates. Next I can get my printer drivers and install Office once again updating Windows updates.

I was not sure when to update Windows but now I know.

I am all set now and hope this helps others.

11. Valinorum

Valinorum Private E-2

Nice feature. Only reason I do not recommend it to people is that Microsoft disabled the first acceptance of the key (hence you use generic key) intentionally. :)

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I am sure you are more informed but I read that MS issue the key b/c of the problems that were created.

Do you think the generic key will work with the procedure I outlined. ZI can check with my source also but would like to be sure before I consider it a viable option

13. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

With the Win 8.1 update 1 there is a change.
    One can install 8.1 with the generic key, activate with slui.exe 0x3 then activate WMC with the key for it.
    However, there is a way you have get the Win 8.1 update one or you will not be able to get updates from Windows.
    That procedure can be Googled but I don't know how to do it yet!

14. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Peter

Win 8 and 8.1 have different keys, so while you can upgrade you cannot direct install Windows 8.1 with a Windows 8.0 key sadly, I have tried wit a retail key and OEM ones are less forgiving than retail or MSDN keys.

Found the above out while installing Window Server 2012 R2, then messing with Windows 8 versions to test install speed with USB3.0

Your post #10 Peter is great info, cheers for posting and the real life experience on a workaround is always good.

15. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    if I read you correctly, I cannot do what I proposed in post 10 and you were politely suggesting it was a good exercise but that is all.

Appleoddity seemed to suggest it was the way to get around the MS conundrum but I have to accept reality.

I have solid images of both pcs with all OS's in 2 separate external drives, in case.
    You would think if you pay and get a key that it would suffice but I hear you about the different keys.
    I did some reading about a way to dig the key out of OEM's with a program but it is not worth the hassle.
    Big disappointment but I knew you had the bottom line and thank you.

I guess I will delete those notes in my folder.
    Regards,
    Peter

16. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

David
    This is the information from the person who first suggested it is possible. I thought you might like to read it. Peter

In regards to not being able to use a Windows 8 key to install Windows 8.1, that is correct and I indicated that in my initial post. You'll need to install Windows 8.1 with a generic key, as provided above, then activate with your Windows 8 key. We do it almost daily. There is absolutely no problem installing a fresh copy of Windows 8.1 and activating with your Windows 8 key.
    As always, I'm sure the version of disc you use plays some role but this has become less important since Windows 7 as each installation disc contains most if not all versions of the operating system per architecture. i.e. Your windows 8.1 32-bit disc has 32-bit versions of Windows 8.1, Windows 8.1 Pro, and Windows 8.1 Pro W/ Media center both retail and OEM and the operating system installed is based on the key you provide.

Working instructions for making a universal Windows 8.1 install disc with both 32-bit and 64-bit versions can be found here: http://forums.mydigi...Center-manually

There's a lot of information on the internet to support this. In regards to Server 2012 it is a different product. Server 2012 R2 is not a free upgrade and a server 2012 key will NOT work with Server 2012 R2. You must buy the new version of the product.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds