Need help after reinstalling Windows XP Pro

Discussion in 'Software' started by fg2000, Jan 12, 2005.

1. fg2000

fg2000 Private E-2

Hello

I have Windows XP Pro, an AMD Athlon processor, 1.40 GHz, 256 MB ram.

A few days ago my pc continuously kept rebooting at the Windows screen. The night before the problem started it was fine when it was shut down. In the morning it wasn't. I called a computer tech and he tried replacing the power source, but that didn't help. He then reinstalled XP Pro using "Repair." After that the pc booted to the desktop. Prior to running "XP Repair" I had Service Pack 2 installed, but afterward Service Pack 2 was no longer there. Most of my software seems to open up ok, however, I'm no longer networked as before, can't print from this pc any longer, can't open documents from my other pc etc. Also I am no longer able to get online using AOL. The AOL software will not even open. I tried reinstalling AOL but that did not help. AOL says they do not believe it is an AOL software problem. I ran Norton and no viruses were found. My pc tech now says he must reinstall everything and has quoted me $275 to do it. If there anything else I can try first? I really can't afford $275 right now. :(
    Thanks for any and all help. I do appreciate it.

Kathie

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Welcome to MG Kathie,
    Hopefully you didnt have to pay the Tech for what he did so far.
    After repair install some updating will be needed.

Maybe you should consider trying to reinstall your OS yourself, not repair but nice freash & clean install?

Before you reinstall, ya might try system restore to previous date/time, system restore, auto set's restore points, see if you got one right after the windows repair, then try to load your other stuff, understand?

You can get alot of help around here, lot's of great folk's here, with alot of knowledge.

I'd also get rid of Norton, there is better & free avaible here at MG

3. fg2000

fg2000 Private E-2

Hello

Thank you very much for answering my plea for help. The technician that I am dealing with is also the one who built the pc for me. He upgraded two of my pcs to Windows XP just a few months ago. I paid $700 for that. He did not give me a Windows CD when he installed the software, so I cannot do a fresh install myself unfortunately.

Kathie

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

Also, you paid for these installs, the discs etc are legally yours so you should ask them back, if he refuses then you can take it up with legal rights etc, so long as you have the bill from him etc

5. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

McAdam had a very good point. Since he installed the XP on your system/s and they were activated for you, the copies of XP with those particular activation/license# is yours! (unless he used OEM/Corp Edition and used the same CD/License number). < This could be the reason that he did not give you a copy either or that he wanted you to call him with major problems so he could charge you major bucks but since you came to major geeks, his reign will end soon! ;)

Pressure him on providing you the XP CD/s and see what he say then let us know. Worst case scenario you could get a copy of XP around $100 (I know this could still hurt you financially but it is a better option than giving that tech another $275!

PS. Welcome to MG!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds