Would this make a good gaming 'puter?

Discussion in 'Software' started by 2kflhr, Jun 23, 2005.

1. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

Need a gaming computer for my son.

I bought my son a Compaq Presario :rolleyes: 3-4 years ago. Not knowing what will evolve with PC games it quickly became outdated. It only supports PCI and has no AGP port. Now that PCI-E is the latest and his current video card (256mb Radeon 9250 PCI) will not play his latest game Battlefield II. After much complaining I'm looking to break down and buy him a gaming machine. I stopped by a local computer supply and repair center and this is what they said they would build for me.

CPU- AMDAH 3000 939:AMD Athlon 3000 64 bit 939P 1.5 gb (he said the AMD was a much better processor for gaming than a P4)
    $175.
    MBB-MSI-6701-040: MSI K8N NEO4-F Raid 939P 64 bit
    $119.
    Ram-PC3200 512DDRS: 512MB PC3200 DDR400 Super tale (2 sticks)
    $72.
    VGA-PC ATI X800PRO: ATI X800 Pro 256MB PCI-Express
    $350.
    HDD Seagate 200GB 8MB SATA
    $139.
    CDR-CDRW ASDRW-041: Asus DVD 16X DBL
    $89.
    FDD-Sony 1.44
    $15.
    SF-MS Win XP Home:
    $89.
    Case-CI L8004 C43T9:
    $55.
    Service Charge:
    $65.

GRAND TOTAL:
    $1,241.00 plus tax.

The builder states this will play any game onb the market today.

Will this do the job?

Is this a good price for what I'm getting. It's only the CPU, no monitor, keyboard, speakers etc.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

If you are not on a budget, I'd get a 3500+ Venice core. Just my opinion.....

I'm personally not a fan of ATI. But, my reasoning behind that is ancient news (1990's).

Looks okay, just the processor may need a boost.

:)

There are others who are big into games here.

3. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Re: Need a gaming computer for my son.

If your doing a one shot thing, get an amd 64 3500+ or a 3700+ 939pin; DO NOT buy that ram, Im not sure what case that is. Be aware that your paying an inflated "retail" price for those pieces; I payed 240$ for x800 256mb (online). Also, 512mb isnt enough to play todays games if you want to be truthfull about it; look for some OCZ/Kingston/Corsair but nothing thats value/generic. Theyre competitivly priced and have good performance.

Battlefield 2 crashed on me when I had 1GB ram it said virtual memory was too small when it was at 1GB, meaning it consumed my RAM and all of my ROM too(2GB). I upgraded to 2GB of ram specifically for it.

Also, for the price of the mobo there are better options; also i believe the NEO 4 is AGP and not PCI-e.

4. 2kflhr

2kflhr Private E-2

No bad intentions in the double post. Sorry if it is not allowed. I was not sure where to post it and only wanted to get the best response.

5. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

We ask that you try to avoid double posting as it reduces clutter. There are thousands of people on the board daily.. trust me, someone will read your thread ;)

6. russian master

russian master Private First Class

alrite...instead of doing that bunch of ...crap, why dont you go to www.ibuypower.com or www.cyberpowerinc.com, and custom build a pc. Video card...you may want to go with x800 xl, which is better than pro and is 300 dollars on www.newegg.com. Always research the products they offer before you buy--omegamerc is right, id never buy from a store thats an actual entity...i always custom build and order either the parts separately or have a website build it for me, the prices are extremely inflated. Kingston and Corsair ram are your best bet (around 130). Id recommend a heatsink on the ram cards, and get 2 sticks of 512 ram each. I dunno about that mobo, not familiar with it, but i have an asus a8v-e deluxe mobo, and it works wonderfully. Processor...def go to about athlon 3500 or 3700 if you dont plan to upgrade anytime soon. As for the operating system, if your confident in what your doing, (and assuming from that you actually considered buying from a store, you arent), do not get an os with it. install that yourself. Also, on websites, there is no real service charge. I got the computer in my sig w/o the os, with a 17 lcd monitor all for 1145 on www.cyberpowerinc.com. look into it. best of luck

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Was that Battlefield 2 demo or Battlefield 2 retail? It didn't crash on my computer. I have only 512 megs of DDR 400 ram....though, I do have a 3200+ barton cpu and an nvidia 6800 OC (unlocked) video card.....

8. russian master

russian master Private First Class

and by the way...your son is very lucky..my parents wouldnt even consider buying a 10 dollar part let alone a gaming computer...all because its for games...bought everything myself :)

9. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

Both, I play the game maxed out graphical wise, and the massive amounts of textures loading/unloading kept lagging me and after and hr plus of playing It would CTD me and lag pretty serious.

10. theefool

theefool Geekified

Okay, nm then. I'll check what my system can do with the game later on, with everything maxed out.

What resolution are ye playing at?

11. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

1600x1200x32 everything on high FSAA off. On large 64player maps I lower the res down to 1100x800 everything maxed 2x FSAA because its just incredibly studdery if I move my view around too fast.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds