Global Tech Scam

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dumb_Question, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

I don't know where to post this, so please move it if it is in the wrong place (sorry)

It is a SCAM WARNING concerning (Microsoft) Global Tech

This company rang me (in the UK) this afternoon, unsolicited, and attempted to persuade me to let them take over my computer. I couldn't make out much of what they said, but after I searched for them on on the Internet because I ewas suspicious. I found the following
    http://www.bufc.drfox.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2613.0

I hope this is a useful warning

Dumb_Question
    5.January.2012

2. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yep, pretty common scam nowadays, unfortunately.:(
    Someone rings you out of the blue and claims to be from "Microsoft" or "Windows", (LoL!), usually saying something like "We have found a very serious problem/virus on your computer"' or similar. Normally, they have an Indian or Asian accent. If you are gullible and believe them, they then want you to follow their instructions so that they have remote control of your P.C. They then download all kinds of crap-ware on the computer and keep charging you money to have them 'removed'.rolleyes
    Firstly, M.S will NEVER ring or e-mail you about your computer problems. Secondly - NEVER give anyone external control of your P.C. Thirdly - NEVER give unsolicited people money to 'fix' the computer. An obvious scam to most, but I get clients falling for it nearly every week.

3. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Yeah these guys called my mother in law telling her she has a virus and they can help if she lets them have remote access. They were calling from "Windows" lol... Remember people Windows is an Operating System, NOT a company name!

I really want these guys to phone me, I could have so much fun.

But a good answer to them would be "How do you know whats on my PC? Unless you have accessed my PC without my permission, which is hacking. I'm sorry I must end this call and dial 999 (911) and report you for hacking which comes under the anti terrorism law and carries a mandatory 10 year sentence"
    I've said that to a different scam and holy crap the panic the sets in their voice is hysterical :-D

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Or fire up a 'Nix box and tell them to go ahead. See how good their hax skills are. :-D

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

:-D:major

6. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

What is that?
    I could have so much fun with them. I'd like them to call. Hehe;)

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

a *NIX BOX?It's a Linux machine which you could run in virtual pc mode or VMWare to check it out. Less invasive would be a LiveCD, it won't change a thing on your hard drive but is slow because of the need to run it off of CD.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

9. Blue.eyes3520

Blue.eyes3520 Private E-2

Heads up - The "Global Techs PC Support" SCAM is still alive and menacing. It just scammed another poor chap who got bilked when they had him enter a "run" command and showed him oodles of warnings and red lined viruses detected on what he thought was his computer! Then they sold him a 3 year contract for Trend Micro for $80 which he could have got for free on the Amazon offer currently running. Who knows what kind of sleeping dogs they left on his computer in order to gain control of it at a later time.

I had him report it to the FTC website, cancel his CC used for the payment, and hopefully uninstalled all the s/w they installed while they had control of his computer. Then I put him back on Avast free version since I haven't had a successful attack for over 3 years on my computer since using it.

I'm just a rookie at this, any better suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks,

10. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Although not as blatant, people should also be aware that the PC cleaning :crap being advertised on late night TV in The States is just that - crap.

At my PC shop, I've had several suckers come in. The got the "free" scan, paid money for the removal part of the program and just can't figure out why they still have pop-up windows, can't connect to the Internet, etc. The same applies to many of the remote tech support subscription services offered by large retail chains and Internet Service Providers who hire $10/hour flunkies who are often halfway across the world.

When a PC leaves my shop, the virus is gone or the customer doesn't pay. For anyone who wants to attempt a DIY tune-up and malware removal, free downloads of Advanced System Care and Malware Bytes usually do a better job than any of the above options.

11. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

They rang my Dad.... LOL He's almost 80 and he told them in no uncertain terms to... (well.... BIG expletives....)

12. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Want a laugh coz I had real good one:-D
    These dudes phoned me yesterday and said they were from Micro$oft Technical Support and my computers had been sending automated tech support requests to Micro$oft and to stop me spamming them they were prepared to help me fix any problems with my system. I said that I didn't believe I had any problems so he asked me to open event viewer in admin tools and check application events. Now everyone knows there will always be some red errors and yellow warnings here that mostly mean nothing........ Anyway I played along and pretended to be really worried ;)
    Next thing he says he can help me fix the problem but I will have to change some settings in my profile. I agreed to make the changes and pretended to have done it rolleyes he said he was going to login and when he couldn't see me online we checked and checked the settings but it just didn't seem to work for him :-D but still I persisted and acted real dumb and eventually said maybe the firewall is blocking him so we then checked those settings rolleyes
    I had to keep him talking and trying to help me because just after the call started I had alerted another person in the office with a note that asked them to call our Telco immediately and have this call to our PABX traced :p
    Our Telco did the call trace and I was given back a note saying it was an anonymous VOIP line in Asia :( Bummer :(

Time for the fun to start ;) I asked the dude where in Asia he was calling from and he replied "What makes you think I am in Asia, I am in the USA at Micro$oft" This is when I said "I am an IT Admin and my Telco has just traced your VOIP line to the IP Address of your proxy server and has just contacted the police." :flip
    All he said was "Fark you" then click he cut me off roflmao
    Sheesh he didn't even fix all my problems roflmao

Seriously though, lucky I didn't do what he said as the changed profile settings would have given him unrestricted access to my PC, to our server, to our national network and also to our web servers all he got was to :kissmy

Shucks foiled again :neener

Cheers

13. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I am just trying in vain to work out why I replied to a 2 month old thread. At the time of me replying I could have sworn it was because another recent post had been made (not one two months old) Jeez, apologies. :confused

14. DavidGP

Hey Emma its always worth a recap on this spammer technique to get users to part with personal data.

15. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

It's called a brain fart Emma.roflmao

16. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Yeah, I had one a while back - Claiming to be from Microsoft, and "I had a very serious problem with my computer." I told him I didn't have Microsoft, I had an Apple. Predictably, the next day, the same voice ran up, saying, "I'm from Apple, you have a very serious problem with your computer.". I told him, I don't have an Apple. I have an "Anus Computer."LOL Yeppers, the very next day, the same looser rang me and said, "I'm from Anus-Computers, you have a very serious problem." I said, "You're telling Me! - Your the biggest anus I've heard all month!" He yelled something at me that sounded like, "Whu Flung Dung!", or something and hung up. roflmao

17. DavidGP

They are persistent buggers Barry! as you know.

18. oma

oma MajorGeek

At least, this is a start: http://news.consumerreports.org/ele...jor-tech-support-scams-conning-consumers.html

FTC cracks down on major tech support scams conning consumers
    Oct 3, 2012 2:30 PM

Excerpt:
    Worth to read the entire article.

Personally, I haven't received a call like that yet. Wished it would happen because I'm prepared for it. :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds