How do I disable dumb mouse scroll argh!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PLZohplzhelpmeidisablescr, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Mouse-scroll is stupid and I don't want to use it, how do I disable it? I don't lik e it because my mouse is not a good mouse and the mouse-scroll lags me alot! How do I disable it!?

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Welcome to the forum could you post your operating system and the programs you wish to disable your mouse wheel in and the model of your mouse.

I don't know of a way to completely disable the middle mouse button in windows,the only option I know you can alter is the number of lines the mouse scrolls when the mouse ,is that what you wish to do completely disable the middle mouse button click or just the scrolling function?

If you have a microsoft mouse or microsoft compatible mouse you can use intellpoint software to disable it

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=19633

If you have another model of mouse you would have to look up the software available at their website to map the mouse buttons,alternatively you may be able to alter the way the mouse behaves in specific programs.

http://techpur.com/browser/enable-disable-auto-scroll-wheel-firefox-and-internet-explore/

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

When I look at the "wheel" properties under my Mouse applet in Control Panel, one of the options is "Disable" - and it works. So I would look there. It may depend, however, on your mouse. So you may consider getting a new one if your Control Panel does not let you change the default settings as scroll is NOT something I would ever want to disable. I find it hugely useful - if set correctly.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

My mouse settings in Control Panel do not allow me to disable the scroll wheel but there is software that will.
    Go here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-xp
    scroll down to TweakUI and install that.
    I just checked and there is a section for the mouse that does allow you to completely disable the wheel.

[​IMG]
    just uncheck the box.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  5. Digerati

It will certainly depend on the software/driver for your mouse - if there is one besides Windows default "Standard MS Mouse" driver - which would be pretty basic.

TweakUI is for XP. We don't know what OS the OP is using.

6. I have logitech MUV96 please please help! I want to disable my stupid scroll, I just want to disable my wheel scroll. I am running on Windows 7, so could anyone help me?

7. Rikky

Try this software,I can't try it but it may allow you to disable the middle mouse or map the mouse or bind none functioning keys to the scroll and middle mouse button.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/584/3131?softwareid=671&osid=14&section=downloads

8. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Like the vast majority of users, I find using the mouse wheel for scrolling hugely useful, so your request seems quite bizarre.

Anyway, as Digerati said, "It will certainly depend on the software/driver for your mouse..." I have a Microsoft mouse connected to my Windows 7 desktop system and my mouse Properties panel allows me to disable scrolling for the mouse wheel. If your Logitech mouse software does not allow that, then you may need to get a Microsoft mouse, or some other brand whose software will allow this.

My mouse is Microsoft Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 and I have Microsoft's IntelliPoint software installed. I can not say that this scroll disabling feature will be available on all Microsoft mice but I'd say it most likely is.

9. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

10. Digerati

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Find someone that has one of these obsolete mice hanging around and use a USB adapter to connect it.
    [​IMG]

I threw one of these away about 5 months ago. If you visit a place that sells refurbed computers, they might have something like this in a junk drawer.

12. Digerati

You might need a USB to PS/2 adapter - however, they are pretty easy to find. I personally think you should just get a new mouse, one where the wheel does not get in your way. Going with an old mouse also means you will likely be stuck with a ball mouse - and they are a PITA, not very precise, and "clunky".

13. Help please anyone?

14. Rikky

Download and install this program.

http://majorgeeks.com/X-Mouse_Button_Control_d6793.html

Once installed run the program,you'll get a mouse icon in the taskbar,double click it.

Where is says 'Wheel up' select 'disable'
    'Wheel down' select 'disable'

Your scroll will now be disabled,I've just checked and it works perfectly,you will have to leave the program running for it to work.

Enjoy your new non functioning mouse:)

15. Oh my god thanks!!! It works thank you so much :D! My mouse doesn't create lag anymore.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds