Raid 0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ericnumnutz, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ericnumnutz

ericnumnutz Private E-2

Hi

I have a Dell server with one drive that has failed. Rebuilding did not work. can someone help?

2. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

Can we get a few more details like type of raid, number of drives in it?

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

With Raid 0 there is no redundant store of information. The system and data is distributed across all drives for speed of access. All drives must be working for operation. Full backups must be held off system.

So if one drive has failed you can not simply replace it. It will have contained part of your system, which is now missing. Your only option is a full restore if you held backups, or a full reinstall if not.

4. sheesh721

sheesh721 Private First Class

Sadly as mentioned above, doesn't matter on a RAID 0.

Raid 0 is a misnomer in that it has no redundancy. It uses two harddrives to write at the same time splitting files across the two drives. If one fails, you basically lose everything. That's the risk of running RAID 0.

Raid 1, however, would use the second drive to mirror the first and a backup would be possible.

5. Ironsnipe

Ironsnipe Private First Class

Exactly why i wanted to know exactly what type of raid array he had. he is screwed as far as getting his info back. You will need to get a new drive and create a new array. For reliability reasons i suggest you get 2 new drives, unless the other used one is fairly new.

BTW, you can have more than 2 drives in a raid array. You can put 4 drives in a Raid 0 or Raid 0+1 or Raid 5 or Raid 3.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds