Flash always crashing browsers

Discussion in 'Software' started by footndale, Feb 12, 2009.

1. footndale

footndale Private E-2

Hi everyone,

I have a problem that is baffling me. I reinstalled windows xp on my pc because I was having problems. Did the suggested virus/malware cleaning and still had problems, so I did a complete reformat and install of the os.

After installing the OS, I upgraded to service pack 3. Other software installed is MS Office 2003, Quicken 2009, Firefox and Thunderbird.

When I install the Adobe Flash 10 driver, the browsers are always crashing, both IE7 and Firefox. Uninstall Flash and the browsers don't crash. Tried Flash 9 instead and same problem.

Anyone have some ideas on how to get flash to work on this pc? First time I've came across something like this.

THanks

Dwight

2. Arvald

Arvald Private E-2

does the problem happen in safe mode?

3. footndale

footndale Private E-2

It doesn't appear to fail in Safe Mode.

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you may want to check that you have the correct sound and video drivers installed. as for the video, make sure you are using the ones from the manufacturer and not the ones from microsoft. do you have any addons installed in either IE or FF?

5. footndale

footndale Private E-2

No addons to IE or firefox at this time. Trying to keep everything at a minimum until this problem is solved.

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

7. footndale

footndale Private E-2

Oma,

I tried later version of Flash and still get the same problem.

What does Java have anything to do with Flash?

8. oma

oma MajorGeek

Sorry, got the 2 mixed up. :( Please disregard.

Just follow the link and the hyperlinks in there that I posted first. http://kb.mozillazine.org/Flash

9. footndale

footndale Private E-2

After testing in Safe mode, I still get the crashing. Are there virus's that still could be on a harddrive after you reformat it and install a new OS?

10. dinointexas

dinointexas Private E-2

do what i did:
    i have used the ADOBE's uninstall program which is free,

then downloaded and installed a fresh copy of the latest FLASH from ADOBE and now everything is running fine,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds