All browsers crashing

Discussion in 'Software' started by lindyhopkins, Dec 27, 2009.

1. lindyhopkins

lindyhopkins Private E-2

Thanks to all who generously give up their time to help us with these problems!

My browsers are continually freezing, crashing, often requiring me to completely reboot. I use Chrome, IE and Firefox and they all have the same problem. I have Windows XP.

Chaslang generously looked at all my logs and determined that this is not a malware issue, but has to do with Windows. He suggested I attach an event log showing my application crashes...unsure of how to do that.

I don't know if this is related, but I have a major typing delay on my computer as well.

Any help would greatly appreciated!

2. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g'day lindyhopkins

it would be of great value if you could give more information about you system which service pack 2 or 3, processor speed and how much ram memory you have.
    you could also start by checking in your task manager under processes and see if any of them are using an unusual amount of your cp usage some crashes are caused by over active processes running in the back ground.

3. lindyhopkins

lindyhopkins Private E-2

Thanks, i wunder,

I have service pack 3. Dual-Core processor TK-53, 1.70 GHz, 896 of RAM. (Did that answer your questions? Not totally sure...)

I have watched my task manager, and I rarely have any other processes running and using CPU...most of it is System Idle.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

This is how to gain info from the Event logs HERE but the quick rundown on this is open up Event Viewer and click Application log, then leave that window open and see if your browser crashes, then look at the log page and it should have a new error called Application Error at the exact time of the crash, click it and you will see something like my sample below (bare in mind I have Windows 7 so the layout of the window will look different)

[​IMG]

in the bottom box you can see the error in full and what application crashed as in iexplore.exe and the faulting file KERNELBASE.dll for the crash on my PC, yours maybe different.

Copy that text and pop it into a notepad document and save it then attach to your post with these instructions HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

5. lindyhopkins

lindyhopkins Private E-2

Thank you, Halo. I did as you instructed and attached a document with a few randomly selected "application hangs" info.

Attached Files:

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I don't know either, but this can be caused by accidentally invoking an accessibility feature called Sticky Keys. Check your Control Panel > Accessibility Options and if Sticky Keys is checked, uncheck it.

7. iwunderdownunder

are you trying to open or watch any video's on the net at the time of these crashes does this occur when you try to open a folder containing video's.

8. lindyhopkins

lindyhopkins Private E-2

Iwunder,

I would say 90% of my crashes are from the browser trying to load a video or game. The other 10% happens during random simple browsing.

9. iwunderdownunder

ok try this and see if it solves this issue.click on start button then click on run type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll hit enter then try your browsers good luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds