New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by COMPUABLE, May 30, 2012.

1. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

How the f*** do they plan on enforcing this?

Most fast food places and quickie marts hand you the empty cup and you fill it yourself at the soda dispenser. Will there be Nutrition Nazis standing at the fountain to be sure anyone with a 32 once cup only fills it with diet Coke or unsweet iced tea?

I can also see a huge loophole. Most pizza places sell 2 liter bottles of soda, mainly for delivery. Watch for more places to do this. It'll be similar to overpriced dine-in wine: $5 for the bottle of soda (usually $1.50 or less at the grocery store), plus an additional charge for each cup and ice.

Finally, like this is going to do any good. Double Whopper = 1000 calories. Large fries = 600 calories. Oh, and I'll have a diet Coke to make it a healthy meal. rolleyes

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Between this and Rikky's Pirate bay thread, I'm getting worried. :(

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

There is a short news video here - (a thirty second stop smoking ad precedes the news clip).

CNN: New York City seeks to ban big sodas from restaurants, food carts

5. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

It like i was bitching about 7/11 there price for soda for a 2liter is 2.32$ when mostly all other Gas stations that are near bye are 1.89$ I mean come on 2.32$ for a 2 liter total rip off.There Diet drinks are not even diet lol out of a fount drink machine.just water co2 and soda syrup lol basically mixed with lots of water.I use to work at BK so i know how that kinda system works.It has very little CO2 Mix but Tons of water lol so there is your diet soda all the way around.Oh and don't forget to add the ice.Witch makes it even more watery lol.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Next they will ban makeup and eyeliner! :-D :major ;) :p

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

There's also always the option of multiple cups! But I already have the solution!

The punters are shuffled through a weigh in as they enter,if heavier when they leave than than the total weight of 1X Recommended calorie meal and 1X16 ounce drink an alarm sounds and the doors lock.

A treadmill then starts up underneath and the punters have to work off the extra calories to unlock the doors,a biometric ID then blocks their access to any further food outlet.

We have the technology:major

8. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Oh No :eek:eek

That must be the War On Women again. :-D

9. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

That, or restaurants could start charging fat people for two seats like Southwest Airlines does. :-D

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Just seems a political stance that will not be enacted or could never be enfrorced. Why go after soft drinks for the likes of Diabetes when not going after other foodstuffs, that could enhance the risk of diabetes or other medical issues,

I would like to here the OPs stance on this issue as they posted the thread?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds