svchost.exe error -- instruction "0x50118d8cd"

Discussion in 'Software' started by RichLiv, Sep 17, 2007.

1. RichLiv

RichLiv Private E-2

Consistently experiencing
    svchost.exe application error:
    The instruction "0x50118d8cd" reference memory at ............. The memory could not be "read".
    Sometimes when get the Generic Host Process for Win32 service problem and I am able to get the following additional information about the particular .dll involved.

svchoste.exe App Ver 5.1.2600.2180
    in mod name wuaueng.dll offset 0014d8cd

I believe the problem started right after I installed an updated version of Belkin Bulldog Plus battery back-up (UPS) monitoring software, but not 100% positive this caused the issue, or if from a windows automatic update or something else.

Now, I sometimes get a complete re-boot and other times hung up in space. Able to get on internet via LAN, but other LAN functions not operating right connecting to assistant's drive and printer.

Right now, I am running XP Home w/ all updates and having to use SAFE MODE to insure I communicate with you, but can use another computer here if needed. I run Symantec AntiVirus Server Edition (though not on a server), regularly update and run SpywareBlaster; Spybot Search and Destroy; Ad-Aware; CCleaner. Have updatedd and run all tests. I also use Registry First-Aid. Ran this too, but has been flagging around 70 items that are marked "yellow" or "red" and I am not confident enough to know if I can delete them or not so only letting it take care of the "green" most safe changes.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

3. RichLiv

RichLiv Private E-2

Thanks for your interest and feedback regarding my situation. Regretfully, I have already taken these approaches and did a "google" search for similar and have not been successful. I uninstalled the Belkin software long ago, but the more I read, the more I suspect something related to the Windows/Microsoft Updater issue as the system definitely gets hung up in space whenever I have tried to do a manual or automatic Microsoft Update recently and all day today. But all the discussions and articles talk about and SvcHost.exe memory error that starts with "0x7" and mine starts with "0x5". Please let me know if you have any other ideas.

4. RichLiv

RichLiv Private E-2

Wow! After reviewing every article and post I could find on the web, I think (or at least hope I have the problem resolved by following the very technical process listed on the Microsoft support article listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927385/

One of the tricks is that when the error message pops up, to let it stay there or click debug, rather than the other choices which hung up the system.

So for now, thanks to all who read about my saga and hopefully having this posted will help someone in the future. And if I have a problem, of course, I will be back.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I am pleased you are now o.k- I think it was Adrenalyne that did a debugging post , a short time ago, but could not put my finger on it - The error code shewn at the microsoft link you found was the same, as the other one, still not the exact one you had, but, as for the previous one, related to an update, as you also originally guessed.
    Thanks for posting back.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds