Please help NIC cards work only sometimes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AntR, Dec 12, 2007.

1. AntR

AntR Private E-2

I have an old HP 753 N s/n - MX24738330 (give away),anyway, it seems I have (2) NIC cards and another ethernet port connected directly to the motherboard. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. One card was working pretty regularly until last week. Now I'm using an old PC from Hell to surf.
    I'd say I'm just below "intermediate" status so I tried pinging the router and switching ports. They seem to work intermitantly.
    Hope I put this question in the correct forum (I just joined today).
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

So, you have 3 Ethernet ports now, the 2 NIC cards and the onboard port. Is that right? And, you only need one Ethernet port, right?

Does Device Manager show all three? Does Device Manager report them as working properly? Do you have drivers for them? If not, do you know where to get drivers? What brand and model are the NIC cards?

I think I'd experiment with disabling unused network adapters in Device Manager so that only one is enabled, and see how it works.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds