Toshiba Laptop touchpad not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fattwinkie, Jan 2, 2011.

1. fattwinkie

fattwinkie Private E-2

Howdy guys!

I'm kind of stuck and have no idea how to fix this.

The other day I was using my laptop just fine. I turned it off for the night and came back to it the next day to start using it again. When I turned it on, the touchpad doesn't work. I restarted the computer and it still wont work.

I plugged in a USB mouse and updated the drivers. Uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled and its still not working.

When I went into the Mouse control panel in the hardware tab, Windows isn't picking up my touchpad at all. It finds only the USB mouse, but no trace for my touchpad even in the device manager.

I'm running a Toshiba satellite A305D-S6848 laptop with Windows 7 Pro 32bit with the SP1 Beta (was working fine with the beta till just the other day and have been running the beta sicne it came out), have a Synaptics Touchpad (or however you spell it).

I ran several virus scans and AVG/Avast/Kaspersky couldn't find anything JUST to be safe that it wasn't something like that.

Anyways thanks guys and hope to have some smart people figure it out :D

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,
    Probably a long shot but does pressing Fn + F9 do anything?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Check in the BIOS to be sure the touchpad is enabled. Also, check the keys above the functions keys. One of those may turn the touchpad off.

4. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

My Compaq Presario Notebook PC has a small button on the edge of the touchpad which, when pressed, disables the touchpad. I don't believe many laptops have this feature but I thought I'd mention it in case your Toshiba has that and you might have inadvertently pressed that button. However, I'm thinking this would not make the touchpad not appear in Device Manager, so you may have other issues.

5. fattwinkie

fattwinkie Private E-2

Sorry it took me so long reply. Stopped using my laptop and didn't really care anymore haha.

I tried all those things and every thing was enabled and so on. Fortunately it all of a sudden started working again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds