Windows Vista Not Logging In. On Logging Screen it Re-starts

Discussion in 'Software' started by VascoDeGamma, Jan 26, 2011.

1. VascoDeGamma

VascoDeGamma Private E-2

Hello and thanks.
    Whenever I power on the computer (Dell w. Vista) it takes me to the log in screen where I am supposed to type my password (or just hit enter if there's no password) in order to log in to Vista. The problem is that it will not accept the password (will not say it is incorrect!), but rather it just stays there as in floating, then the system reboots itself.

Sometimes I'm not so lucky, and the computer reboots before I am able to type anything into the password 'box'.

I tried the disk repair, and to log in from another point in time (system restore), all of that to no avail. On one occasion it gave me a blue screen with the following:
    a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if it appears again follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed…

if problem continues, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safemode to remove or disable components, restart, press f8 and go to safe mode.

TECHNICAL INFO:
    ***STOP: 0X0000000A (0XFFFFFFBC, 0X0000001B, 0X00000001, 0X80CB1C14)

Basically I cannot access the computer, not even in safe mode. Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

VDG

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. VascoDeGamma

VascoDeGamma Private E-2

Thanks plodr,
    I got it to take a system restore point from a prior date, and I got to run safe mode w. Network. Now, as I try to work in safe mode, there comes a point when the computer just gives up and freezes (I have to mention that this is a laptop). So I cannot update Vista as per your suggestion.
    I also got a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT error. I was not able to record the STOP point.
    I did the Default values in the BIOS setup, and I received a weird message that my power adapter was not recognized, and I tried a diagnostic test (F5), everything was fine, but it froze again when testing the CPUs.
    I also have to mention that in the BIOS setup there is a battery tester and it says the battery is just about to die.
    Could it be that the computer is not getting enough juice? I browsed the MEM_MNGT error in the web and this came up, but would changing the power supply cable just do it?

Anyways, thanks for your help, any word on the above will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

VDG

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try it under these three situations: a) battery only, b) power plugged in and battery in c) power plugged in and battery removed.
    Does it freeze in all three situations?

5. VascoDeGamma

VascoDeGamma Private E-2

Sadly, yes; with some advantage I would say to a/c power only. However this could be bias since it was the first try I did after I let it repose all night, so it was 'fresh'. Battery only does not go anywhere as the battery can barely hold charge, and both together, well it was OK until it met its inevitable faith.

One curiosity is that once it freezes and I try to do a restart, the computer will freeze on the boot screen or even before anything appears on screen (as in the DELL big blue letter sign), as if it were fatigued.

I let it repose for a while and it comes back, but it inevitably freezes again.

I did get a log in on regular windows mode once, and was doing some memory testing (never saw the results), but after a while, instead of freezing up again, it just went back to the circle of reboots...

I thought it could be over heating, but the fan is working and it is not really hot.

Thanks Again

VDG

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Which model Dell laptop?

I'm wondering if it is a bad memory module? Usually the "not equal to" error is a bad driver but if you had problems in safe mode maybe memory is an issue. It may be worth trying one memory module at a time to see if you can get into normal mode using only one module.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds