ASUS Eee 1215(B) "Repair" Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by grc123, Jan 31, 2013.

1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

ASUS Eee 1215B (I suppose this is a "Netbook" [?] .. it's a small laptop - 12" screen).

Only 15 months old (bought new...online..@Amazon, if memory serves me).

Was dropped twice in the first six months, and the second time was a rather "hard" drop (onto a hardwood floor) - since then has had intermittent noises such as plastic (or some sort of) parts tumbling-around whenever machine was moved, and sometimes a noise such as that of a "Fan" being restricted (impeded).

Today machine begin shutting-down (seemingly for "no reason) out of the blue.

It seems the fan (exhaust/cooling) has "stopped" (cannot hear it running, and do not feel the heat being blown out of the vent area)...opened the only place that seems to have screws (cover plate for the RAM), and out rolled a small bit of a plastic piece..and also a small spring.

QUESTION: 1. Might this be repairable? 2. Might it be "inexpensive" (I know...#2 is a relative question).

Thanks in advance,
    g

2. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

71C on a CPU would be a cyclic shutdown in my book!

Have you popped the back off and looked it may be a simple problem of said piece of plastic lodging/blocking the fan? Therefore remove and no problem?

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

The temps got even worse than that (180-185F - whatever that translates to in Centigrade/Celsius I don't know?!?), so I shutdown immediately.

This unit seems to have no way (no other visible screws/etc.) to remove the back...

Is that even possible (that this is a "sealed" unit)?

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

6. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds